Are Camelot getting greedy or desperate?

Other gambling firms pay tax. .

As I understand it Camelot pay a lottery duty..it paid £807 million in 2013/14..after everything's been paid out it made about 1% profit... what are the figures for "legitimate" bookies? (whatever they are)

Edited by truman

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it Camelot pay a lottery duty..it paid £807 million in 2013/14..after everything's been paid out it made about 1% profit... what are the figures for "legitimate" bookies? (whatever they are)

I would guess that the fat cats at the top will have been well rewarded in salary, and the tiny bit that is left when each person has taken their large slice of the money pie is the 1%.

It seriously makes me cringe when people say 'someone has to win it'. No they don't! That's why there are roll-overs - because no-one won it! You aren't playing everyone else, you're playing the odds. And as it stands you could get the phone book from the top ten biggest cities in the country, stick the pages to a wall randomly and throw a dart at it blindfolded. The chance of you hitting your own name are still better than winning the lottery. So basically, it's a tax on the gullible and those who are no good at maths.

The only time it is ever worth playing is when the expected jackpot is over the amount of return you get on investment. So for the current system that would be £26million. (£2 at 13m-1) And then only if you win it on your own.

I don't seriously contemplate winning the jackpot when I play. 80k or something like that wouldn't go amiss would it?