Are Camelot getting greedy or desperate?

The thing I object to has been the marketing that you now have greater chances to win and somehow camelot are doing you a favour. An examination of the facts show the mass proze is simply another lottery ticket, whilst the odds of winning a jackpot have been ramped up.

I think they are greedy and it was better when there was one lottery once a week.

People like rollovers though, especially Euromillions.

It's the first time since the lottery was launched that I have delibrately not bought a ticket . I have had the same numbers since day one , so with the 10 extra numbers it seemed pointless to continue . There were two numbers in the 50's on Saturday . The wife bought a lucky dip and didn't win .

I need to have a think what I will do with the extra £16 a month I now have to spend .

The thing I object to has been the marketing that you now have greater chances to win and somehow camelot are doing you a favour.

People like rollovers though, especially Euromillions.

But despite the bigger jackpot prize, aren't the odds even worse with Euromillions as a result of half of Europe buying tickets.

What annoys me is the small amount you win on the Euromillions if you get four or five numbers, do you realise how difficult it is to get these, only to be given a poultry reward.:rant:

....Someone has to win it...

No they don't, that's the problem, and that's why it's not worth it with the higher cost and the now ridiculously long odds!

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 12:46 ----------

But despite the bigger jackpot prize, aren't the odds even worse with Euromillions as a result of half of Europe buying tickets.

The odds don't change with the number of people buying tickets, you have the same odds of getting a prize but maybe a higher chance of having to share the prize.

Camelot have announced that they intend to add a further 10 balls to the lottery draw. This will effectively decrease the odds of winning a jackpot from 14 million it one, way up to (I think from memory) 47 million to one.

Since they increased the cost from a pound to two pounds per play, the roll-overs seem to be a common occurrence. For instance this week is a quadruple roll over.

No doubt this will encourage more people to play, in the hopes of getting a substantial win.

Personally, I play the lottery regularly...You never quite know!....Someone has to win it, and you have to be in it to win it. (Thankfully I've only ever done lucky dips, so I'm not stuck in the loop of "what if my numbers came up")

But 47 million to one odds?

I'm pretty much forming the opinion not to bother...Boycott it..Camelot have had a good run and made milllions....

Me and the OH have done just that. They have lost our syndicate as we are now going on the health lottery. Well I think people should just change companies they will soon learn the error of their ways.

Yes, I agree, I had heard that the chance of winning the jackpot was now 1:45,000,000. I think Camelot want to get even bigger rollovers to make more people have a go. I seem to remember the largest one being over 100 million. This is pretty disgusting. I think they should cap the Jackpot at, say, 25 million and then make the lower prizes a lot bigger. Just thought, am I getting mixed up with the EuroLottery rather than the Lotto. Whichevery it is, the lower prizes shoudl be much better.

They clearly have moved towards the Euromillions model - ie harder to win the jackpot, and so lots of rollovers, but with the extra opportunity to win "just" a million via a raffle.

I wonder if they see Euromillions as being more profitable, so they are trying to do the same. The risk is that people who prefer Euromillions already do it anyway (of which Camelot get their cut), and those who don't like it will be driven away towards other smaller lotteries.

Will the new format pull enough people from Euromillions back into Lotto (which presumably is more profitable to Camelot than Euromillions is) to make up for those who leave altogether?

Cancelled my online account yesterday .Numerous telephone options before I finally spoke to a real person who cancelled my direct debit.

I suppose they rely heavily on people's inertia to maintain their customers.

I'll switch my "lucky numbers" to the Health Lottery .£100k would be acceptable.

What annoys me is the small amount you win on the Euromillions if you get four or five numbers, do you realise how difficult it is to get these, only to be given a poultry reward.:rant:

Swing and roundabouts with European participants as its their contributions that make the prizes bigger. A lot of people consider the chances so small anyway that they are either going to win it (someone has to) or they wont. Its the rollovers £50m+ that people want.

Well I had some money left in my online account. I did enter Saturday's draw (didn't win). So that's it. They've had enough of my money. There was little to no chance of winning big prior to them adding numbers. Now it's pretty much impossible. So I won't bother now.

I hope this stupid policy of adding numbers causes everyone to quit doing it...:rant: