Chocolate is good for us.

Has anyone tried Aldi Chocolate.Not the more expensive stuff but their value 30p a bar version.It tastes like Lindt! Asda's 30p version is also lovely but can't think what it reminds me of.As for the other supermarkets value range it is not very nice but each to his/her own. Great news for me thought,this chocolate "pass"

Irrespective of taste, I would advise anyone to exercise caution when consuming 30p bars of chocolate. It may well taste nice, but it is 30p for a reason. Transfats come to my mind.

See link above.

Edited by Janus

I have always hated dark chocolate because its so bitter, until I tried Lindt's.

I eat Lindt's 90% cocoa chocolate now, because shock, horror, it's not bitter. However, its so rich I can only eat two pieces each evening. :o

Does anyone remember Cadbury's Bournville chocolate? In the Seventies, that was the main dark chocolate bar around. I tried some recently and couldn't eat it because it was so sweet and so was Ye olde Jamaica rum chocolate bar.

Dark chocolate seems to have changed - or my tastes have changed as I aged but as you say, Lindt and also Greene and Blacks dark chocolate are not bitter. I always had this impression they were almost inedible, until I tried some a few years back. Maybe they did change the recipies who knows.

My current indulgent of choice is the sea salt Lindt chocolate - few squares of that and somre decent red wine is fantastic..

The general rule seems to be that scientist 1 deems food A to be healthy; then others deny that it's so- by which time the News reports scientist 2 deeming food B to be healthy but food A to be unhealthy. No wonder that people disbelieve most 'experts'!

I've just eaten some Hotel Chocolat 80% supermilk tasting batons, which is a milk chocolate but with 80% cocoa solids, not leaving much space for any sweetener in there, and it was lovely :) Nothing wrong with a bit of depth of flavour and reduction in sugar at all :)

Deep fried, battered Mars bars would be the way to go then for the ultimate health kick.

Also, since the revelation that butter is now considered a health food, rich in life giving amino-photonucleides and cross-pollinating ribuflavinoids, I've been packing away a pound and a half a week (unsalted). Once all the zits burst, I presume i'll have a perfect skin.

These food scientists certainly know their stuff! Well done food scientist boffins ... keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-06-2015 at 23:06 ----------

Dark chocolate seems to have changed - or my tastes have changed as I aged but as you say, Lindt and also Greene and Blacks dark chocolate are not bitter. I always had this impression they were almost inedible, until I tried some a few years back. Maybe they did change the recipies who knows.

My current indulgent of choice is the sea salt Lindt chocolate - few squares of that and somre decent red wine is fantastic..

What's changed is that since the Eighties, we have become accustomed to real chocolate, from Switzerland and Belgium. Don't you remember the European debacle over not wanting to called British chocolate, 'chocolate', because of the lack of cocoa solids in our chocolate, compared to the rest of Europe?

Edited by poppet2