Transporting dog ~20 miles

mosaic91

I am going away from Fri-Mon in the bank holiday in August (28th-31st). We've rented a cottage in the Peaks (Tideswell) for 3 nights and it's my first holiday with my rescue dog - we've had him for just over a year.

We don't own a car and our pooch is terrified of public transport, so usually we only take him places within walking distance. I wanted to ask whether people think it will be cheaper to rent some sort of pet taxi or whether we would be better off renting a car and driving ourselves. Does anybody have an recommendations for pet friendly transport?

Do 'normal' taxis allow dogs?

We'd be looking for a journey with 2 people + dog from Sheffield (S6 3FX) to Tideswell (SK17 8LX) on 28th August around midday (or early afternoon) and return from Tideswell to Sheffield on the 31st August early afternoon if possible.

Let me know any suggestions you have. Thanks :)

City taxis have a taxi that allows dogs but we had to book in advance, it was usual price though. I'm sure if you called them they'd give you a price and let you know if it's available the dates you require

I'd book a taxi in advance and let them know that you'll have a dog with you. They will tell you whether they have anybody who is happy to carry dogs in their cab- if they don't then you try another company. You may find that it's easier to get someone with a black cab to take a dog than another sort of car because of the greater floor surface in the back.

If your dog is small I'd get him a travel box/cat carrier in which you can have his favourite blanket or a t-shirt that you've slept in so that it all smells as reassuring as possible. This will limit how much he can freak out and keep him safe in the event of an accident or him panicking, and if he gets travel sick it will also keep the mess off the seats of the taxi.

If he's not small enough for that then I'd get him a harness which fixes to the seat belts (Ezydog do one and so do lots of others) which even if he's not on the seat gives you a very sturdy hand hold on his shoulders with which to control him, and take a big fleece or blanket which can be used to protect the seats from any sort of doggy debris.

If you're a passenger then the chances of him being really panicked are very much reduced because you will be able to hold him, and being held by your human cures all ills if you're a scared dog :)

We have taken all our dogs rides in the car to get them used to being in it. Our first dogs still wasn't keen and was well stressed, and very vocal. We were worried about taking him all the way to Cornwall so the vet prescribed the dog a sedative. I don't usually agree with medication but I couldn't have stressed him for so many hours without it.

We found he could cope with travelling without medication after that but we had to keep putting him in a car to keep him used to it. We didn't go anywhere over the winter and he got stressed again in the car come spring. He eventually got over it and used to try and get in his fold up car crate as soon as he saw it....even before it was unfolded. :hihi:

Lots of dog walkers will offer a pet taxi service - I know ours does :)

Our rescue hates transport too (especially our car!!!) so we put some low fat pate or peanut butter inside a hollow bone and freeze it. Feeding his face keeps his mind off the car of doom!