This is terrorism. Not a hate crime!!

The op is suggesting the media agenda is to play this down because the perpetrator is white, in comparison I would argue that quite frequently the media has an agenda to play things down, and on other occasions to hype things up, just as some would on this forum, the flavour of which depending upon ones viewpoint or stance.

It happens the other way round too !

In my opinion, terrorists are people who use terror to further a political or personal agenda.

People who just randomly go on a killing spree, regardless of colour, tend to be more of a mentally ill type variety.

For example, if the guy who attacked the church was part of a group actively engaged in trying to remove coloured people from the US, and this was carried out as part of that agenda then I would consider it an act of terrorism. Just opening fire on his own makes him more of a nutter to me.

You mean like when we sailed over and 'discovered' America - murdering and taking the land away from the natives? Also, the same for Australia?

We weren't terrorists, we were pioneers... it's all about context and which side of the fence you sit on. As far as I'm concerned he's a terrorist - he terrorised people through murdering them.

Completely correct, I couldn't say it any better myself. This man was not acting on some ideology, he was acting on prejudice. They are very different.

No they're not.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 16:56 ----------

I was always of the opinion that terrorism some sort of agenda behind it beyond the actual killing...

Which is precisely what happened in this case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/charleston-shooting-black-and-muslim-killers-are-terrorists-and-thugs-why-are-white-shooters-called-mentally-ill-10330714.html

Yet is being investigated as a hate crime, committed by a mentally ill white male. You will not hear the word terrorism used by any of the main media outlets.

Do you really believe because a white kid goes on the rampage and now white communitities have as big a problem with terrorism as Muslim communities? Surely the average Muslim in the UK must be a little alarmed by the number of young Muslims joing ISIS,

I know comparing "white" communities to "Muslim" communities is not comparing apples with apples but that's all we know about the person and most other posters here don't seem to have a problem making the same comparison.

There's no evidence it is a terrorist attack, yet. I fully accept the difference in description in the media for acts like this vs the nationality of the perp, but calling it a terrorist attack just to even things out isn't really helpful.

Terrorism "is intended to create fear, perpetrated for an economic, religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants" and there is no evidence of this so far

Whatever we call this despicable act, it is thoroughly evil.

Can anyone who has such a total disregard for human life, whether they be white, black, brown be really anything else but mentally ill? Unless you are being coerced, planning to commit multiple murders, surely is not the act of any totally mentally well person?

Completely correct, I couldn't say it any better myself. This man was not acting on some ideology, he was acting on prejudice. They are very different.

Isn't white supremacy an ideology where you come from then?

this nutter was not a terrorist he was a deluded loner individual who probably got his crappy ideals from the internet and blames everyone else for his unhappiness.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 17:19 ----------

Isn't white supremacy an ideology where you come from then?

white supremecy is a bit 1930s isnt it??

this nutter was not a terrorist he was a deluded loner individual who probably got his crappy ideals from the internet and blames everyone else for his unhappiness.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 17:19 ----------

white supremecy is a bit 1930s isnt it??

Wow. I shall presume you are either ignorant or a troll. In either case not worth responding to beyond this.