Houses of Parliament £7 billion repairs?

Then the whole circus can move to a place where it won't cost hundreds of thousands a year just to house the MPs. I propose Sheffield, slap bang in the middle of the UK and we've got plenty of room in the city for a nice parliamentary building and it won't cost a lot. London can stay capital, Sheffield becomes the seat of parliament.

Sheffield council would just put a spoke in the planning applications:hihi::hihi::hihi:

In Sheffield itself - yes there is. Not in the NUM building but they could have the H oC chamber there cos there is one. Never used! Plenty plenty office space vacant in Sheffield and not all of us have to be in London as things stand at the mo so they could keep the Govt buildings in London and let them commute up north for a change

---------- Post added 20-06-2015 at 21:33 ----------

DWP doesn;t have a huge HO presence in London these days. Could easily be housed in one of the buildings we've vacated in Sheffield

Where do you think all the PM residence could go,? It wouldn't make sense to have the PM's official residence far away from parliament.

When that's sorted out, we'd have to start to look where all the foreign embassies could go, where do you believe would be the best place for them?

Where do you think all the PM residence could go,? It wouldn't make sense to have the PM's official residence far away from parliament.

When that's sorted out, we'd have to start to look where all the foreign embassies could go, where do you believe would be the best place for them?

Why do they need to be in London? With all the technology we have at work they can work from anywhere at all - phone conferencing, video conferencing, email, webex - we all have these as standard. I'm assuming you mean No 10 which is largely office space inside. They have same technology!

Foreign embassies can stay where they are cos they pay for their own buildings.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 13:35 ----------

I used to traipse up and down to London frequently. Now with austerity we're supposed to reduce our journeys as much as possible so it's standard for us to use things like phone conferencing. Do them every day :)

Why do they need to be in London? With all the technology we have at work they can work from anywhere at all - phone conferencing, video conferencing, email, webex - we all have these as standard. I'm assuming you mean No 10 which is largely office space inside. They have same technology!

Foreign embassies can stay where they are cos they pay for their own buildings.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 13:35 ----------

I used to traipse up and down to London frequently. Now with austerity we're supposed to reduce our journeys as much as possible so it's standard for us to use things like phone conferencing. Do them every day :)

I think that the foreign embassies would want to be near the seat of government so they'd have to be here in Sheffield, it would be interesting to have the armed US Marines stationed here in Sheffield protecting their embassy.

Next we'd have to significantly beef up our police force, to provide protection for all these new VIPs.

I think that the foreign embassies would want to be near the seat of government so they'd have to be here in Sheffield, it would be interesting to have the armed US Marines stationed here in Sheffield protecting their embassy.

Next we'd have to significantly beef up our police force, to provide protection for all these new VIPs.

Yup but think of the jobs it would create. And as for having a posh embassy. You should see ours in Canberra. It looks like an old fashioned dole office :)

Time to move. Most parliaments these days are in modern airy buildings, suitable for the purpose they intend to serve. Westminster is gorgeous, but very, very expensive. Restore it and, as mentioned, make it into a major tourist venue, call it Museum of Democracy or something, stick a copy of the Magna Carta in it and bob's your uncle.

Then the whole circus can move to a place where it won't cost hundreds of thousands a year just to house the MPs. I propose Sheffield, slap bang in the middle of the UK and we've got plenty of room in the city for a nice parliamentary building and it won't cost a lot. London can stay capital, Sheffield becomes the seat of parliament.

It would be a square box building and be demolished within 35 years, as is the norm.

My question would be why they shouldn't move out when there are places that could accommodate them and spare us as taxpayers a bigger bill.They really are something else. If I tried to let a contract that allowed for what they are proposing to do I'd get a royal telling off for not achieving value for money for the Exchequer. As usual do as I say not as I do :)