Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills

mikeG

Anybody work here? I was there for 2 years only, 1970/72 working as a programmer but my Dad joined in 1947 until he retired in 1972. He was instrumental in getting the Stekkel? mill successfully installed and running in the mid 50's I think. The steel from here was used to build the original Queen Elizabeth II I think. I remember quite a few names of the workforce from this bygone era. Maybe you were one of them. I think it finished up being run by a foreign concern. Any comments would be welcome.

I worked in a Rolling mill one winter as a plate lad and then on the furnace. Because the painting and decorating was non-existant in winter I used to take other jobs,I was a tram conductor once. The rolling mill I worked in was, I think in Neepsend,just under the railway bridge.If you follow the canal from the LNER station you come to the road from the Wicker turn right under the railway bridge and bear right into a corner.

I worked on the coil build up line at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills from 1963 to 1970, I left to come to Sunny Australia.

Anyone remember Black Jack, Tubby, Harry Thompson & many more, it was a great place to work, I think our boss's name was George Barnes.

I worked on the coil build up line at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills from 1963 to 1970, I left to come to Sunny Australia.

Anyone remember Black Jack, Tubby, Harry Thompson & many more, it was a great place to work, I think our boss's name was George Barnes.

My father, Eric George, was Hot and Cold Rolling Mill Manager and worked with or for people like Jeff Edwards, Stan Dyson, George Ashton, Bert Scriven, Ernest Dams, Ron Stevens. Dad and Jeff are currently on holiday in Madeira no doubt talking about stainless steel, or the heat treatment bay at David Brown or the ARMCO at John Summers.

• 1 year later...

I didn`t actually work at rolling mills but at Firth-Vickers Cost office which was situated on rolling mills site 1964 to 1965

I remember going to canteen for dripping on a bun at teatime and dinner. Rolling mills were scary to 16 year old office girl just out of school.

Hi MikeG

My grandfather Willie Bradshaw worked most of his working life in The Firth Vickers cold steel rolling Mill. His father William Bradshaw had had the same job there also, from about 1900, so I presume he got his son the job. I still have a 1 inch micrometer, that Willie used in his day-to-day work there. As far as I remember Willie always worked shifts - either mornings, afternoons, or nights, - another victim of the dreaded ice cream van.

Leipzig

My Dad has just unearthed from his loft an album presented to James Amour on his retirement from FVSS Ltd on June 30th, 1954.

It contains an alphabetical list of, and signatures of the 177 colleagues with whom he had been closely associated for a number of years. G Baines is down as a Slab Grinder and W Bradshaw as Millman. There is a photo of James Amour, George Ashton and Tommy Dewar. Quite how Dad came by this I shall endeavour to find out. R Stevens is down as a Cost Clerk. This is probably Ron, who lived at Crosspool and maybe still does. He was the Computer Manager at SLRM when I was there 1970/72.As Dad doesnt want the album I may try and trace the Amour family to whom it really belongs.

Archived