Tv licence has "10 years left"

should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?

• make the bbc a subscription service and scrap the licence fee
    • allow the bbc to show proper adverts but remove the licence fee aswell
    • keep it the same and jail people for not paying for a licence
    • create a new tax to support the bbc

The sooner the TV Licence fee is gone the better. Why should I pay for a TV service I VERY seldom use?

As another post said - it's all out of touch middle class lefties who think we northerners are inferior to them.

I'm a northerner & I don't get the sense that 'middle class southern lefties' are looking down their noses at me....

I do read and hear that opinion from right wing metropolitan latte slurpers who think they are being a bit edgy & contrarian by speaking up for the 'working class' - as if all the working class want for entertainment is Jeremy Kyle & Benefit Street. Oh yeah, and Sky service :roll:

Edited by Mister M

I'm a northerner & I don't get the sense that 'middle class southern lefties' are looking down their noses at me....

I do read and hear that opinion from right wing metropolitan latte slurpers who think they are being a bit edgy & contrarian by speaking up for the 'working class' - as if all the working class want for entertainment is Jeremy Kyle & Benefit Street. Oh yeah, and Sky service :roll:

Read Chavs by Owen Jones. You'll know how the middle class look down on working class people then.

Read Chavs by Owen Jones. You'll know how the middle class look down on working class people then.

I've read excerpts from Chavs, and I agree with his analysis.

However scrapping the BBC because, in your view, it is staffed by middle class lefties seems daft. Is not any other large media organisation staffed by middle classes? Do right wingers not look down their noses at working classes?

Maybe the BBC should be more egalitarian & less classist. I'd agree with that.

But as Captain Swing said a few posts ago, the role of the BBC in enriching people's lives by providing accessible information that isn't perceived to be for them shouldn't be underestimated.

I've read excerpts from Chavs, and I agree with his analysis.

However scrapping the BBC because, in your view, it is staffed by middle class lefties seems daft. Is not any other large media organisation staffed by middle classes? Do right wingers not look down their noses at working classes?

Maybe the BBC should be more egalitarian & less classist. I'd agree with that.

But as Captain Swing said a few posts ago, the role of the BBC in enriching people's lives by providing accessible information that isn't perceived to be for them shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm not paying for the other broadcast media organisations so I'm not bothered.

The BBC is perpetually biased and I wont miss it. We can get our news from newer platforms now so the traditional forms of media - newspapers and broadcast media are declining. They wont disappear altogether though.

"BBC comedy" is just a circle jerk for a bunch of privately educated lefties. They haven't produced anything worthwhile for a decade or more.

Have you seen Mrs Browns Boys which tops all viewing records season after season, take a look at the background of his creator and family.

Two pints of lager (couldn't be any further away from privately educated lefties) ran for 10 consecutive years,

then there is Not Going Out now in its 9th year written and starring a guy who grew up in a northern pub.

There were much ignored BBC 3 creations which were genius created by the very opposite targets as your ridiculous comment. Most famously was Little Britain - hardly unworthy. 15 Stories High starred Sean Lock (a former builder) about a council flat situation. Ideal starred Johnny Vegas (the ultimate working class northerner) and was situation was about a dope dealer. Then there was the tweenager noisefests of Coupling and Coming of Age. Downright disgusting shows such as Monkey Dust and Mongrels which deliberately provoked outrage from the liberals.

The BBC comedy scene has moved on a long long way from the days of the Ben Elton and Richard Curtis borefests.

Perhaps if you bothered to watch every now and then you would know what you're talking about.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It's not ultra-biased though. Last night on Newsnight an ex-Tory minister was allowed to tell complete lies completely unchallenged. Just an example.

I think by bias you mean potentially uncontrollable.

Go read the BBC news website, it's just left-wing propaganda (and Apple endorsements)

The worst example I've seen recently is an article which aimed to destroy the reputation of UKIP's William Henwood by quote-mining. It can be found here

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27176803

Basically, Lenny Henry said he would like to see more black people working in television. William Henwood replied that he could do that by moving to a black country. The BBC ignored the blatant racism of Lenny Henry (imagine the headline if someone had said more white people should work in Nigerian television) and attacked Henwood.

There are countless other examples. There was an article recently I can't find the link to which was about Police brutality against a minority in a South American country (they just love police brutality against minorities). They interviewed one of the non-indigenous people who complained about being brutally dragged out of his car in the street and arrested as the police were always targeting minorities. Later, hidden in the middle of the article it transpired that the car was stolen, but that clearly didn't fit in with the BBC's agenda.

Although this site does seem to have an unfortunate air of racism and bigotry unnecessary in its reporting, you can find plenty more examples here:

http://biasedbbc.org/

Newsnight may pretend to be the open-democratic mouthpiece of the BBC, but the international news output is the real criminal.

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 06:24 ----------

It isn't ultra left. That's the criticism usually coming from ultra right wing zealots, who hope that by constantly repeating the same mantra, the public will believe them and the BBC will move even further on their agenda. Tactics used in America.

I wonder what you think makes the BBC's output ultra left?

Read the post above.

It's not a criticism of ultra-right wing zealots, that's just an age-old tactic used to shut people up ("Shout racist, that should stop him")

I would rather read the BBC than the Daily Mail, but that doesn't mean that they're not two sides of the same coin.

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 06:32 ----------

You make it sound like a fizzy soft deink loaded with sugar :roll:

The BBC certainly isn't perfect, but it's reputation throughout the world in terms of programmes and integrity (excluding the Jimmy Savile fiasco) is envied. I doubt whether Sky would have the same kudos or respect....Perhaps that's why the Murdoch press are calling for its abolition - sheer envy.

This international envy is long-gone. In the days of streaming media, consumer controlled programming reach and the rebirth of the big-budget American drama, the BBC is more a respected elder than a current player.

The international appreciation for the BBC is now reserved solely for the pretty brilliant documentaries they produce, most under the watchful eye of David Attenborough.

Just picking today at random we have:

Homes Under the Hammer

Family Finders

Bargain Hunt

Escape to the Continent

Flog It

Don't Tell the Bride

Suntrap

Tennis

Which of those could not be supported by commercial money? The idea behind PSBs is that they are not bound by commerical pressure and so can take chances on programming that might not appeal to advertisers. This has brought us some excellent programming the past that never would have been made on commercial television, such as the Office, but I can't think of a single ground-breaking BBC program in the last 10 years which couldn't have been funded by advertising.