Tv licence has "10 years left"

should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?

• make the bbc a subscription service and scrap the licence fee
    • allow the bbc to show proper adverts but remove the licence fee aswell
    • keep it the same and jail people for not paying for a licence
    • create a new tax to support the bbc

Why is the BBC so pro-EU and pro mass immigration? Answer me that.

Because they are out of touch middle class Londoners that don't understand normal people that don't live within their little bubble.

But that puts the entire onus on the BBC, when various Gvt departments (HMRC, Culture and Media) should be made to take up the slack (HMRC for all collection and enforcement, Culture and Media for some of the middle and senior management taking care of non-broadcast matters which would still need to be done).

And says nothing about the notional level of the license fee after integration within general taxation: would it still be pegged at the notional £145, decreased (LOL!) or increased-on-the-quiet (i.e. drowned within the deficit noise)?

They're not my friends. Nor my enemies, mind :P I'm certainly not fond of Juncker, he was the Lux PM when I was trying to kickstart my business there in the early 90s, and he certainly did not build me a gold bridge like he did for Paypal, Amazon, eBay and co. Whatever you think about Cameron, and however you believe that he was 'ridiculed' for trying to checkmate J out of the EU top slot or not, C was right: as crooks self-interested, capitalist influence peddlers go, J is rather more the poster boy than any Tory you care to name.

All the same, don't get me started about that one. Bunch of muppets. But arguably it's mere inches of a kick, chump change to keep the Greek € clock ticking right until 30 June: insofar as the IMF and that 30 June deadline are concerned, Tsipras is still not out the woods. Not even close.

do you mind if ask you what you would keep just out of todays listings ?

say from the bbc 1+2 listings as today is as normal day as any, i just want to see what you think come under the public service tag, and i know it doesnt show the full ammount of content that the bbc provides , i just want to know what you think about the 2 major stations of the bbc tv channel thats all on any normal day.

bbc 1

Breakfast06:00 - 09:15

Crimewatch Roadshow09:15 - 10:00

Homes Under the Hammer10:00 - 11:00

Claimed and Shamed11:00 - 11:30

Family Finders11:30 - 12:15

Bargain Hunt12:15 - 13:00

BBC News at One13:00 - 13:30

BBC London News13:30 - 13:45

Doctors13:45 - 14:15

Perfection14:15 - 15:00

Escape to the Continent15:00 - 16:00

The Box16:00 - 16:30

Flog It!16:30 - 17:15

Pointless17:15 - 18:00

BBC News at Six18:00 - 18:30

BBC London News18:30 - 19:00

The One Show19:00 - 20:00

Don't Tell the Bride20:00 - 21:00

The Interceptor21:00 - 22:00

BBC News at Ten22:00 - 22:25

BBC London News22:25 - 22:35

SunTrap22:35 - 23:05

The Met: Policing London23:05 - 00:05

Weather for the Week Ahead00:05 - 00:10

Newsday00:10 - 00:30

HARDtalk00:30 - 01:00

Newsday01:00 - 01:30

Asia Business Report01:30 - 01:45

Sport Today01:45 - 02:00

BBC News02:00 - 02:30

Wednesday in Parliament02:30 - 03:00

BBC News03:00 - 03:30

Click03:30 - 04:00

BBC News04:00 - 04:30

HARDtalk04:30 - 05:00

BBC News05:00 - 05:30

World Business Report05:30 - 05:45

BBC News05:45 - 06:00

Homes Under the Hammer06:00 - 07:00

Claimed and Shamed07:00 - 07:30

Family Finders07:30 - 08:15

Antiques Roadshow Detectives08:15 - 08:45

Cowboys and Angels08:45 - 09:15

Victoria Derbyshire09:15 - 11:00

BBC News11:00 - 11:30

Daily Politics11:30 - 13:00

Live: AEGON Eastbourne International Tennis13:00 - 17:15

Antiques Roadshow17:15 - 18:00

Eggheads18:00 - 18:30

Kangaroo Dundee18:30 - 19:00

Alex Polizzi: Chefs on Trial19:00 - 20:00

Dara And Ed's Great Big Adventure20:00 - 21:00

Napoleon21:00 - 22:00

Haslar: Secrets of a War Hospital22:00 - 22:30

Newsnight22:30 - 23:20

The Bank: A Matter of Life and Debt23:20 - 00:20

Kate Humble: Living with Nomads00:20 - 01:20

Modern Times01:20 - 02:20

The Detectives02:20 - 03:20

This Is BBC TWO03:20 - 03:50

Simon Armitage: Writing Poems03:50 - 04:20

The Plantagenets04:20 - 04:50

Punctuation Pals04:50 - 05:20

ive stayed at arms length since unbeliever has took up the slack and done a much better job than i ever could !

game of thrones, mad men, law & order , sopranos , cold case just off the top of my head, but with the sky option i also get top class football, top class cricket in fact top class sport coverage and major box office films virtually straight from the cinema.

So, nothing of any educational value whatsoever, or any cultural relevance to the UK. Thought so.

im loooking at the bbc schedule right now, if i just had bbc tonight i would have had the joys of chefs on trial ( honest to god what the hell is that about ?) dont tell the bride,

the only sport i can find is tennis from eastbourne and no movies at all !

And how much does all that cost in relation to the BBC licence fee?

but then again , maybe loads of people want to watch dont tell the bride and chefs on trial, hence my reason for making it subscription, we both get what we want, total fairness !

Does your idea of "fairness" extend to other public services?

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 19:41 ----------

do you mind if ask you what you would keep just out of todays listings ?

say from the bbc 1+2 listings as today is as normal day as any, i just want to see what you think come under the public service tag, and i know it doesnt show the full ammount of content that the bbc provides , i just want to know what you think about the 2 major stations of the bbc tv channel thats all on any normal day.

All of them, obviously.

The real comparison is how do the BBC channels stack up the free to air ones? Since these are the ones the "so called" poor will be left with without the BBC.

Pretty poorly it seems.

So, nothing of any educational value whatsoever, or any cultural relevance to the UK. Thought so.

All of them, obviously.

The real comparison is how do the BBC channels stack up the free to air ones? Since these are the ones the "so called" poor will be left with without the BBC.

Pretty poorly it seems.

I personally watch tv for entertainment, I would guess most people do, otherwise the biggest viewing figures would be from say the sky at night and not eastenders, unless your suggesting that eastenders is now an educational programme ?

What culture or education is say......don't tell the bride providing ?

YouWill need to be more specific on the cost in relation to the licence fee question, as I'm not sure what you mean .

Regarding fairness I suppose it depends on the service, under no way could I see it being applied to the nhs as that's life and death, yet the bbcc isn't life or death it's simply a few radio and tv shows . Totally different, in fact I doubt you could get further apart.

The people would have a choice to subscribe to the bbc if they wanted to !

im loooking at the bbc schedule right now, if i just had bbc tonight i would have had the joys of chefs on trial ( honest to god what the hell is that about ?) dont tell the bride,

the only sport i can find is tennis from eastbourne and no movies at all !

Although I can legally watch programs using iPlayer, there's practically nothing on the BBC that I want to watch these days.

Not that the BBC doesn't produce good stuff, it's just that it's quite thin on the ground.

All of them, obviously.

Pretty poorly it seems.

Why compare the BBC (pay channels) with free to air commercial channels? Surely the "so-called" poor will have £145.50 with which to buy whatever content they desire if the Licence fee was abolished?

Look at Game of Thrones. Filmed in the UK, mostly UK actors, the most succesful TV series in the world at present. Why aren't the BBC making it?

The budget is far too big, on average $6 million per episode. So far there's 5 seasons of 10 episodes each so that's $300 million.

You criticise them for not making it yet if they did you'd be up in arms!

The budget is far too big, on average $6 million per episode. So far there's 5 seasons of 10 episodes each so that's $300 million.

You criticise them for not making it yet if they did you'd be up in arms!

producing game of thrones would cost the BBC about 0.7% of its yearly budget to make and that's being generous with the figures which is peanuts in fact to the BBC who receives about 5 billion per year from the licence fee + grants.

Edited by bigsexydoug

producing game of thrones would cost the BBC about 0.7% of its yearly budget to make and that's being generous with the figures which is peanuts in fact to the BBC who receives about 5 billion per year from the licence fee + grants.

Clearly state funding is not needed to make such programs. Why would we want our tax money spent on commercially viable output.

Let's cut the BBC down so that it only makes stuff which is enriching to society: education, culture etc; and leave the commercially viable "entertainment" to the commercial providers.

Clearly state funding is not needed to make such programs. Why would we want our tax money spent on commercially viable output.

Let's cut the BBC down so that it only makes stuff which is enriching to society: education, culture etc; and leave the commercially viable "entertainment" to the commercial providers.

But in some posters heads that is everything it produces right now, out of yesterday's listing that I provided which of those do you think fall into the educational and cultural category ?