Tv licence has "10 years left"

should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. should the bbc keep or lose the tv licence ?

• make the bbc a subscription service and scrap the licence fee
    • allow the bbc to show proper adverts but remove the licence fee aswell
    • keep it the same and jail people for not paying for a licence
    • create a new tax to support the bbc

I broadly agree with the view put forward in this piece: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/30/bbc-threat-success-market-ideology-conservative-mps

"...Murdoch bullies ceaselessly for a subscription system, to shrink the BBC to the tiny size of America’s PBS. His paper’s poll shows apparent “waning” public support, with only 48% saying the licence fee is value for money, slightly more preferring funding by advertising. Left out was the inconvenient answer to one poll question which found only 9% want it funded by subscription. The BBC quotes 11 other polls showing that support for the licence fee at 42% is higher than for any other form of funding. What’s astonishing is that 96% of people use the BBC every week, spending an average of 18.5 hours watching, listening or online...

...The BBC’s success infuriates its enemies because it defies Hayekian laws of gravity; the market ought to offer better value but it doesn’t."

Your side of this argument shouts the loudest on the internet and so you end up with the impression that a lot of people hate the BBC but all polls conducted show that view contradicts reality. For example look at the poll in this thread (admittedly it's not a great poll that I haven't even answered because no answer describes my position) which shows 48% support for a subscription based system, and then note the part from that article I've put in bold.

We have Freeview and FreeSat so there is a way to get access to TV without having a subscription service.

I broadly agree with the view put forward in this piece: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/30/bbc-threat-success-market-ideology-conservative-mps

"...Murdoch bullies ceaselessly for a subscription system, to shrink the BBC to the tiny size of America’s PBS. His paper’s poll shows apparent “waning” public support, with only 48% saying the licence fee is value for money, slightly more preferring funding by advertising. Left out was the inconvenient answer to one poll question which found only 9% want it funded by subscription. The BBC quotes 11 other polls showing that support for the licence fee at 42% is higher than for any other form of funding. What’s astonishing is that 96% of people use the BBC every week, spending an average of 18.5 hours watching, listening or online...

...The BBC’s success infuriates its enemies because it defies Hayekian laws of gravity; the market ought to offer better value but it doesn’t."

Your side of this argument shouts the loudest on the internet and so you end up with the impression that a lot of people hate the BBC but all polls conducted show that view contradicts reality. For example look at the poll in this thread (admittedly it's not a great poll that I haven't even answered because no answer describes my position) which shows 48% support for a subscription based system, and then note the part from that article I've put in bold.

So only polls written in an envelope count ?

Just found one online ( I know ) using the internet is against poll rules, but that had almost the exact same Result as this poll the best I can find for the BBC keeping its licence fee is that the exact same amount of people support scrapping it, so the best the bbc can muster is that half want it scrapped half don't want it scrapped.

Would you be in favour of all the educational, cultural content being safeguarded by General taxation on its own separate channel , then the "entertainment" channel being paid by subscription/advertising ?

So only polls written in an envelope count ?

No but polls on Sheffield forum don't, even at the best of times, and certainly not this one.

Self selecting sample, badly worded options, tiny sample size, no this poll on this thread contains pretty much no useful information whatsoever and no conclusion can be drawn from it, even if you're only trying to draw a conclusion about the members on here, let alone the general population.

Find a proper poll that shows significant support for the BBC being subscription based and we'll talk.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Great, a poll whose sample is made up purely of people who click on a link titled 'should the license fee be scrapped?' on a local newspaper website?

Yeah I'm sure that one'll give a representative result :|

Also didn't my challenge mention subscriptions?

Edited by flamingjimmy

Here is a link that shows the majority of people want the Licence Fee scrapped: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/487432/Scrap-TV-licence-fee-insist-viewers

Wrong font, one had a beard, that's a national paper or something, sure he won't be happy with whatever we post up , even the link he posted up didn't have the poll where less than half the people wanted to keep the licence fee.

I would ask him to put his own poll up in whatever font he wants, but they are petrified of the results, 96% apparently watch the BBC, yet all polls show less than half want to keep the licence,that's why they don't want it to change, because people would leave the bbc.

I wonder if he will reply to the education/culture question I posted earlier ?

Edited by bigsexydoug

I thought there were two recent threads on here about the licence (one asking if you had a licence in Entertainment Chat?) but I can only see this one. Anyway:

BBC to cut more than 1,000 jobs

The BBC is to cut 1,000 jobs because of a £150m budget gap in its licence fee income.

An unexpected increase in the number of households saying they do not watch live TV so do not pay for a licence has been blamed for the shortfall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33363225

I thought there were two recent threads on here about the licence (one asking if you had a licence in Entertainment Chat?) but I can only see this one. Anyway:

BBC to cut more than 1,000 jobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33363225

Loved that bit cutting the management levels from 10 to 7.

Still trying to figure out why the show the news several times a day on BBC1 when the have BBC news running 24/7.

Wrong font, one had a beard, that's a national paper or something, sure he won't be happy with whatever we post up , even the link he posted up didn't have the poll where less than half the people wanted to keep the licence fee.

I would ask him to put his own poll up in whatever font he wants, but they are petrified of the results, 96% apparently watch the BBC, yet all polls show less than half want to keep the licence,that's why they don't want it to change, because people would leave the bbc.

I wonder if he will reply to the education/culture question I posted earlier ?

He said in an earlier post that some random people in a local newspaper weren't representative so I provide one published in a national newspaper that would have included a larger sample..........so it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

Yes, your point about the education/culture aspect - I don't think we need to retain the BBC to safeguard that. Libraries are still open and people can find information on-line so we don't need the BBC to provide us with education and culture. I would add that we no longer rely on the mainstream news channels for our news anymore as this can be found online too. The days of waiting for the 6 o'clock or 10 o'clock news programme have long gone.

Edited by RickyM
Added more information.