What is it with some Germans?

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/multilane-carriageways-133-to-143

Rule 134 in fact. But many people are quite happy to fill just one lane, making the queue at least twice as long as it should be and then get huffy at people doing the right thing.

Ever seen an arrow at the end of the dual lane section saying move over? If you do then you should all be merging in turn....

We need a bigger sample to attribute national characteristics to behaviour.

Try this link for comparisons of 4 nationalities. Its a bit sugar coated for sales onto the individual nations but very illuminating nonetheless. The Germans came out as shy and sober in the episode that I remember. The Brits as fun loving outgoing and on the party episode as the biggest pissheads, no surprise there!. Americans and Japanese made up the quartet.

http://www.windfallfilms.com/show/1178/the-tourist-trap.aspx

Because thats the correct way to drive in that situation - you should have yielded if hi is zip merging in front of you. That's how those queues are meant to work.

There were not two lanes merging into one, just a single line of traffic queuing. The guy didn't want to wait..

Every ferry I've been, from Dublin, Dun Laoghaire, the Channel ports. has people double and triple stacking to keep the queue length managable - I'd be surprised if they were not expecting the same.

There were about 5 kiosks but only one in use, this was evident from a few hundred yards back.. He knew excactly what he was doing.. Pushing in

As you are meant to do....

I've been through more ferry ports than I care to recall. There is usually one kiosk and everyone is encouraged to form two or three lanes and merge at the point where you go through the entry kiosk.

you might not like it - you might see it as pushing in but it's not, and it's the preferred and correct way to do it - even here.

I met some really nice Germans when I was there doing agency work, but then I was expecting to come across many different types.

Did you find the Irish okay Banjo? they appear to be a mixed bunch, just like we are.

Edited by janie48

In fact, in todays horrendous traffic coming from the M1 and snaking its way round the city, I couldn't count on both hands the number of people I saw drive down the left hand lane of the parkway only to then turn on their indicator and expect to be able to pull into the right hand lane of traffic just as its about to peal off down Derek Dooley way.

I met some really nice Germans when I was there doing agency work, but then I was expecting to come across many different types.

Did you find the Irish okay Banjo? they appear to a mixed bunch, just like we are.

Every one we met in Ireland was really really friendly.., couldn't wish to meet nicer people.. We really enjoyed our time there