Skyride Sheffield: 5 July

Wot? Riding a bike excludes you from income tax or VAT? Pray tell Inigo, how do I reply for a tax refund for all those years then?

Yep. 100% true fact. (And you're exempt from paying CGT, Stamp Duty, and all forms of duty on alcohol and tobacco too!)

More from SCC re this event:

Road Closures - 5th July

Sky Ride Sheffield

Sheffield City Council is working with British Cycling and Sky for the second year to stage a FREE, fun event on Sunday 5th July 2015. Sky Ride Sheffield is a mass participation cycling event for all ages 0+, all abilities, and all types of bikes. The event will look to attract 6,000 to 8,000 riders, who will take part between 11am – 3pm. The riders will cycle around a 4 mile traffic free route.

Register for Sky Ride Sheffield and you’ll be entitled to a free expert bike check (worth £14.99) at Halfords. You’ll also be able to collect a free Sky Ride reflective bib on the day.

Sign up for this great event at http://www.goskyride.com/sheffieldSkyRide and be part of the cycling fun.

Road Closures

As with all events taking place on the public highway there will be some disruption, which we have tried to keep to a minimum by having designated crossing points along the route for members of the public and motorists.

These crossing points are:

• Division Street/Carver Street for traffic flowing down

• Division Street/Rockingham Street for traffic to flow up towards West Street.

• Matilda Street Up & Down

• Ecclesall Road Harland Road & Collegiate Crescent

• Ecclesall Road Dover Road & Hickmott Road

• Controlled Access to Decathlon Car park

To view the road closures for this event, please go to http://www.goskyride.com/news/showarticle/sky-ride-sheffield-road-closures

To view the route of Sky Ride Sheffield, please download the route map, via see the link below.

• 06983_SKYRIDE_Sheffield_Route_Map.pdf

You know? Cyclists? The people who don't pay any tax?

Damn, I think I need to have a word with the Inland Revenue, I've been paying tax since I was 16 :hihi:

It would be cool if cyclists did get a refund of PAYE tax just for cycling to work, although it would give the anti cyclist brigade more ammunition I suppose.

The Sky ride isn't my cup of tea, too busy, I prefer to ride alone at my own pace (which isn't that fast, but hey I enjoy it). I hope the people who do take part have a good day :)

So hang on....roads are being closed in Sheffield to normal traffic (ROAD FUND LICENCE PAYERS) so that people on bikes (NOT PAYERS OF ROAD FUND LICENCE) can ride bikes around. What part of this am I not getting????

What about the half marathon and Great Yorkshire Run while we're at it?

Roads are closed to normal traffic (PAYERS OF A DUTY TO USE A PARTICULAR VEHICLE ON PUBLIC ROADS) so that people on foot (NOT PAYERS OF A DUTY ON THEIR BODILY EMISSIONS) can run around.

Are you not getting that, either?

I hope the city centre shopkeepers get some recompense for lost trade - I for one will not be going near the city centre.

I was planning to go into town this weekend to do some holiday shopping, didn't go Saturday because of EDL march. Couldn't go today because of this road race. Went to Matalan instead. So city centre shops have lost my business.

Well, having ridden the skyride today with my family, here are my thoughts...

1. Fabulous way of spending a few hours for free with the family.

2. Great way of seeing the city, and not looking through a glass window.

3. A free fluorescent vest and lanyard which my 5 year old loved.

4. The actual road closures are pretty minimal. Ring road running as normal, only eccleshal road and division street that are full closed, plus there are crossing points on both roads to get across.

So the disruption to the city is really minimal, the shops are doing a roaring trade as 6000+ people all try and find somewhere to eat, and it encourages kids to exercise.

What's not to like???