Road works on Sheaf Street

They use the data sent it from phones that have location switched on, by using data from phones they can see how fast they have moved and therefore work out journey times. Its very clever.

Ah, I see. thanks for the heads up.

it'll make a difference to me in the future. I normally travel in on Halifax Road, Penistone Road, Netherthorpe Road, hanover Way. But if I were to know they were blocked I have alternatives.

It'll now be worth my while to check on Google before I set off.

Thanks again.

They use the data sent it from phones that have location switched on, by using data from phones they can see how fast they have moved and therefore work out journey times. Its very clever.

How do they know the difference between someone walking and very slow moving traffic?

I guess you could look at speed over the entire journey, but then you don't know if they've now parked up... I might google it.

How do they know the difference between someone walking and very slow moving traffic?

I guess you could look at speed over the entire journey, but then you don't know if they've now parked up... I might google it.

A good point. You could have some cars moving at one speed, pedestrians at another, cyclists at another, people window shopping etc. If they average them out it could be very confusing. If they don't average them, how do they tell them apart?