Sheffield Roads Damage Claims?

My girlfriend has just collected her car from a garage this morning after a front spring snapped, directly after driving over a speed hump on Tuesday.

This is the second time this has happened in eighteen months. Repairs are costly, not just down to new springs, but taxis and time off work (to collect the car) too.

The garage has told her that they get very many vehicles towed in for repair with the same problem and put it down to potholes and 'traffic calming' measures.

Obviously, if this is the case, then these speed humps present a danger to motorists. Does anyone know who to complain to (and seek reparation) from at the Council?

Ignoring the comments from the small minded. I agree with you wholeheartedly. If the maximum speed permitted is 30 mph then the hump should cause no inconvenience and definitely not damage if negotiated at 30mph or under.

They cause no hinderence to me personally my bike is designed for rougher terrain than a few pointless humps. As has been said humps will not slow down the sort of people that would be exceeding the speed limit.

Perhaps if the police did their job and prosecuted more people for speeding and illegal parking on side roads the council would not be contracting someone (whoever they are and what their association is with members of the council is unknown to me) to put humps all over the place.

Ignoring the comments from the small minded. I agree with you wholeheartedly. If the maximum speed permitted is 30 mph then the hump should cause no inconvenience and definitely not damage if negotiated at 30mph or under.

They cause no hinderence to me personally my bike is designed for rougher terrain than a few pointless humps. As has been said humps will not slow down the sort of people that would be exceeding the speed limit.

Perhaps if the police did their job and prosecuted more people for speeding and illegal parking on side roads the council would not be contracting someone (whoever they are and what their association is with members of the council is unknown to me) to put humps all over the place.

Interestingly enough, I found this site whilst researching speed humps. (Despite the rather iffy name, Honest John is a very well respected motoring journalist).

If any of the points in the article are true, then why do councils insist in constructing such dangers on the roads, and more importantly, how on earth do they get away with it?