Self-ignorance ..

Robert Wright wrote that "Human beings are a species splendid in their array of moral equipment, tragic in their propensity to misuse it, and pathetic in their constitutional ignorance of the misuse. Humans are very good at challenging the beliefs of other people, but when it comes to their own beliefs, they tend to protect them, not challenge them. A consistent finding of psychological research is that humans are fairly accurate in their perceptions of others, but generally inaccurate in their perceptions of themselves. Humans tend to judge others by their behaviour, but think they have special information about themselves – that they know what they are "really like" inside – and thus effortlessly find ways to explain away selfish acts, and maintain the illusion that they are better than others. :)

The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to accomplish the object upon which his heart is set.

I think, a man does well who examines himself often for error, and rights himself. It's a most challenging endevour of course, especially in this day and age, where our attention is pulled one way then another, and every man and his dog (who has something to sell you) wants to get inside your head....

We should make more time for stillness, meditation and introspection. Well, I know I should.

Edited by Waldo
Correcting errors