Another case of child killed by a dog.

I see there has been another child killed by a family's 'pet' dog.

As far as I know for some reason neither of the child's parents, the dog's owners, has been arrested and charged with something that will give them some jail time.

Nor for some bizzarre reason has the dog has not been destroyed yet.

Perhaps it is fear of infringing the people's and the dog's rights that is preventing any action.

A sick world...

please do not think this advert below is anything to do with me.

Edited by Tommo68

I see there has been another child killed by a family's 'pet' dog.

As far as I know for some reason neither of the child's parents, the dog's owners, has been arrested and charged with something that will give them some jail time.

Nor for some bizzarre reason has the dog has not been destroyed yet.

Perhaps it is fear of infringing the people's and the dog's rights that is preventing any action.

A sick world...

Why should the dog be destroyed. Whats it done other than what it was bread and trained to do. Its not the creatures fault.

Terrible tragedy.

As a Patterdale owner myself (and as Pats go, it's a big one at 40 lbs), wrong dog for the environment by the sound of things.

Patterdales are a high-energy, high-prey drive breed that needs a lot of exercise, not to be left to their own devices in a small garden. Ours gets at least 2 hours' worth of walking every day without fail, plus playtime, and that's the lower limit.

They can also exhibit jealousy and be pretty aggressive at times, but never to humans in my experience - unless the humans are positively threatening. Only ever instance with mine over 5 years, was a jogger that thought he was being clever "playing chicken" with us on a field path. Dog was on a short leash (4-ish ft) but still managed to jump and grab his sleeve just as that guy was about to collide with us and 'dodged'. Brought the jogger down like a sack of potatoes. Dog was only doing his job protecting me (was still suitably chastised, of course).

I guess the public hysteria that usually follows such tragedies will result in putting the breed onto the "dangerous dogs" list now :(

Why should the dog be destroyed. Whats it done other than what it was bread and trained to do. Its not the creatures fault.
I very much doubt killing an infant is what Patterdales, or any other breed for that matter, have been trained to do.

Can't say much about the breeding argument though, because their prey drive is unrivalled, and that has its own inconvenient/consequences. From ownership experience, level with wirehaired dachshunds (and these were bred for the exact same purpose, down-hole fox & badger hunting, in Germany). Once they bite (to kill, not to play), they'd sooner die than let go.

Edited by L00b

Terrible tragedy.

As a Patterdale owner myself, wrong dog for the environment by the sound of things.

Patterdales are a high-energy, high-prey drive breed that needs a lot of exercise, not to be left to their own devices in a small garden. They can also exhibit jealousy and be pretty aggressive at times, but never to humans in my experience - unless the humans are positively threatening.

I guess the public hysteria that usually follows such tragedies will result in putting the breed onto the "dangerous dogs" list now :(

Only a reactionary fool would do that. Sadly the dangerous dogs list is proof we have too many reactionary fools in positions of power.

Even a working dog is potentially dangerous.

I see no point in the existence of any others.

Other than of course than to massage the egos of their 'owners'.

The only real purpose of most pet dogs is to get their 'owners' to buy food and associated paraphernalia and spread disease when the so called 'owners' don't confine their dogs defecating to their own property.

---------- Post added 23-06-2015 at 13:04 ----------

Was this the baby that was bitten in Sunderland?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-33211099

Yes is is.

Update.. a man has been arrested ....as yet the mother has not. They both knew that they had a dog... so why why have they not been charged yet? They could have been in court and jailed by now.

/

Edited by Tommo68

Even a working dog is potentially dangerous.

I see no point in the existence of any others.

/

Ok so you are anti-dog. We get it. There is no-one forcing you to have a dog is there?

So why find some issue where someone failed to correctly look after a dog, and then extrapolate from that that all dogs should be removed.

It is quite literally "won't someone please think of the children" in a partcularly disgusting way - standing an argument quite literally on the death of a child.

---------- Post added 23-06-2015 at 13:13 ----------

Update.. a man has been arrested ....as yet the mother has not. They both knew that they had a dog... so why why have they not been charged yet? They could have been in court and jailed by now.

/

Vindictive much? :roll:

I thought they had a dog not a kangeroo...