What you think …

Let us chat, I am bored

This is my thinking and hope to get some points and comments that will help in understanding anything and everything, including this forum and the general atmosphere

I am planning to drive to Europe … around September time , ,,

Day 1

- Going from here to Dover … about 5 hours journey, plus about one hour break

- then one hour on the ferry

- arrive at Calais

- Rest and sightseeing till next day

Day 2

- Then from Calais to Paris … about 3 hours drive, and rest for one hour

- Then from Paris to Angouleme, about 4 hours

Day 3

- Then from Angouleme to Salamanca, about 4 hours,

Day 4

- Then from Salamanca to Seville, about 4 hour drive

Destination reached! :)

I fancy taking people with me, the car can take 4 comfortably with Aircon ….

Between now and then we might meet in Sheffield for a drink and to meet each other ..

I have been to Europe many times … last time I drove on my own to Lille and back, stayed one week, to see the biggest flee market in the world …, 3 million people turned up for that weekend ..

anyway … a chat might be useful … and who knows you may like to share some of the fuel cost :)

So you are not actually seeing anything useful in Calais or Paris? Also I think Paris (going to and from) times are - optimistic - depending on when you go as the entire populace will be going or coming on holiday.

I have done Angouleme a few times to visit friends. Can I suggest you drive to Portsmouth and get the St-Malo ferry overnight? You then wake up fresh in the morning and can drive St Malo to Le Mans and have lunch - fantastic city, wonderful cathedral, drive down the Mulsanne straight and see the 24 Heures du Mans circuit.

Carry on through Tours, Poitiers etc to Angouleme...

Just before you come into Angouleme there is a wonderful place called Balzac with a very old church and a nice vineyard to sample.. Angouleme itself is good too. Can provide hotel info if needed.

Southwards - not sure of exact times but Angouleme to Salamanca is not going to be four hours. At least 10 hours unless you are going to a different Salamanca to the one near the Portugese border?

Great comment Obelix , many thanks

You are right about Angouleme to Salamanca ..

I think it is better to split that part into 2 sections;

Angouleme to San Sebastian, 220 miles … maybe 4 or 5 hours,

Then from San Sebastian to Salamanca, 280 miles … possibly 6 hours, I am guessing!

The main thing is this point: It will be a great journey when all the group take part in decision making ….. When to leave … where and when to take a break … which destinations … number one priority will be: F U N & pleasure, with great experience in a wonderful country - or countries ( Fr & Spain ! )

Everything, literally everything is on the table for consultation and consideration - nothing is off limits

- - -

added

Once we meet for a drink in Sheffield or nearby, I think the picture will be clearer for every one … then each can decide what is next!

Edited by Ela James

I would carefully check that your car insurance policy covers paying guests. They don't need much of an excuse to wriggle out of paying up if you should need to claim.

What's the difference between a paying guest; and a friend who is contributing to the cost of the journey?

I mean legally; how do you quantify 'friend'?

What's the difference between a paying guest; and a friend who is contributing to the cost of the journey?

I mean legally; how do you quantify 'friend'?

Exactly my point. Our insurance policy states "not for reward or money" (or something very similar). I tried to edit the post to cover vehicle recovery too but I couldn't edit it for some reason even though I was logged in.

Sometime the vehicle will be recovered but people have to make their own way home. This happened to a friend of ours. His travel insurance covered the fee but it can be a problem making emergency bookings to get home if you have to do it yourself rather than the insurance sorting it out or the vehicle recovery including repatriation of all passengers. He was travelling in a group but had to travel home alone separate to his bike.