National pride, or shame?

A kick in the teeth for those confederate soldiers who died on the battlefield, or still a gesture of defiance against forced racial desegregation in the 60's?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/confederate-flag-south-150-years-after-civil-war

Will it make any difference to a particular mindset if it's removed? Will the Redneck die overnight, will harmony triumph. Is our flag any less or better?

Or, do you just see a flag as a bit of cloth with pretty colours?

Discuss.

Edited by cassity

Stupid or more politely inappropriate thread title. The Confederate flag has nothing to do with "national pride" It has different meanings to different people in the southern states of the US.

Doesn't mean much to people north of the Mason-Dixon line. You sometimes see the flag attached to the radiators of the big 18 wheeler rigs in various states outside of the old confederacy. Just indicates that the driver is a good old boy from the south

I'm pleased that it's on the way out. It represents a dark time in America's history and it's inextricably linked to racism.

really? is it not time people got over the past? it didnt represent a dark time, it is part of a time Americas history,its no more linked to racism than cotton fields?

I must admit I'm a little in two minds about this question. I instinctively tend to think I need to find out a little more about its symbolism.

Undoubtedly it has racist connotations for some. But on the other hand, so does our own Union flag. Should we abandon that?

There can't be many nations who've had unpleasant/evil events occur under their flag at one time or another. Some have changed their flags, such as South Africa. Some have not.

The Confederate flag is not 'current', so is a little different. But again, on the other hand, it does not mean all who feel that it should remain are rabid racists. Perhaps there's a yearning for the South of the past, but this could mean many things to many people - one does not have to subscribe to all the 'values' of the past. Not many people in the UK subscribe to all the UK's political values, but still do not object to the flag.

I really am not sure where I stand on this - need to investigate more...

It does not represent a Nation so that's eliminated.

It was placed on an official state building in 1962:-

"White legislators had installed it atop the dome in 1962 as a gesture of defiance against forced racial desegregation.The flag was removed from the dome, but replanted about 200 feet away, at a memorial to Confederate soldiers."

From the link in the op.

For me its fairly clear that the flag was used for political purposes connected with race and the re-siting is a sham.

Take it off all Official buildings.

A kick in the teeth for those confederate soldiers who died on the battlefield, or still a gesture of defiance against forced racial desegregation in the 60's?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/confederate-flag-south-150-years-after-civil-war

Will it make any difference to a particular mindset if it's removed? Will the Redneck die overnight, will harmony triumph. Is our flag any less or better?

Discuss.

Normally i wouldnt get worked up about a flag but that one, Well its got a history that is impossible to ignore and the history isnt a glowing one.

Discuss.

The thing is the confederate flag was not the flag of the confederate states. It only became popular (to a point) after the KKK started using it. The flag of the confederate states was different. The flag they are banning is or was the Army of Northern Virginias battle flag.

really? is it not time people got over the past? it didnt represent a dark time, it is part of a time Americas history,its no more linked to racism than cotton fields?

So you'd be fine with a Swastika flying over a Bavarian government house in respect for their fallen in WW2?