National pride, or shame?

You place a Swastica absolutely anywhere in the world and its guarenteed what and who that flag is associated regardless of what its origin or history.

Likewise the same with what we all percieve as the flag of the Confederacy.Like most people ,it is and has been used for one purpose only, and that is to depict something less than savoury.

So those of you trying to condone its use for anything other than why it is associated with something bad. Behave............

Are they actually banning the flag or just stopping flying it on government buildings?

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 13:49 ----------

Confederacy.Like most people ,it is and has been used for one purpose only, and that is to depict something less than savoury.

Rubbish. The Dukes of Hazzard had it on their car for starters.

You place a Swastica absolutely anywhere in the world and its guarenteed what and who that flag is associated regardless of what its origin or history.

Likewise the same with what we all percieve as the flag of the Confederacy.Like most people ,it is and has been used for one purpose only, and that is to depict something less than savoury.

So those of you trying to condone its use for anything other than why it is associated with something bad. Behave............

its all about the context of the flag, the original swastika was not drawn with red and white, that is how we associate it, if it was drawn in pink or blue or any other colour it would not mean the same?? the confederate flag to a minority may mean something bad but to the rest its just a flag get over yourselves:roll:

Are they actually banning the flag or just stopping flying it on government buildings?

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 13:49 ----------

Rubbish. The Dukes of Hazzard had it on their car for starters.

General Lee?

I did refrain from stating the obvious concerning those good ol boys but I knew at some point........:)

Well Sarah,it has been mentioned once about you possibly joking.....:gag:

If not,increase medication and possibly talk to real people concerning this thread and not the fairies at the bottom of your garden:loopy:

I don't like people who go around banning things. They ought to ban people who want to ban things.

I wouldn't say that flying the Confederate flag from a government building is a very good idea since it offends most black southerners but if someone wants to fly it from the flag pole on their house porch or display it as a bumper sticker then that's perfectly fine with me and all the rest of us have to do to keep the world peaceful is just mind our own damned business

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 16:43 ----------

I

Edited by Harleyman

I don't like people who go around banning things. They ought to ban people who want to ban things.

:huh:I could see how that would get a bit complicated if you were in any way in any semblance of power.

I wouldn't say that flying the Confederate flag from a government building is a very good idea since it offends most black southerners but if someone wants to fly it from the flag pole on their house porch or display it as a bumper sticker then that's perfectly fine with me and all the rest of us have to do to keep the world peaceful is just mind our own damned business.

I would guess it offends all Black Southerners as well as all Black Northerners unless they're brown nosing and even then they're probably offended..not to mention a great deal of Whites who are offended. Considering that offence you would have thought the offensive item would have been removed a long time ago, and not through the recent slaughter of Blacks.

Saying all that I personally don't think removing it from sight or the shelves of outlets eliminates Redneckism and contempt for Blacks, that's in their DNA. I just like to see grown men cry because their dummy has been whipped away. :hihi:

I'm pleased that it's on the way out. It represents a dark time in America's history and it's inextricably linked to racism.

I tend to agree. I see parallels with the wearing of the burka (and other such garments) that are inextricably linked to the oppression of women and inequality. I don't think either should be banned as such (likely to be counter productive and a slipper slope) but public challenge seems appropriate to try and bring about a change in attitude and thinking.

You all for an ISIS flag fluttering in your garden?

Strange analogy there ..... how exactly would taking down an ISIS flag from my back garden stop cranks killing people ?

Maybe those people should be more concerned with banning guns rather than flags ....... just a thought !

Strange analogy there ..... how exactly would taking down an ISIS flag from my back garden stop cranks killing people ?

Maybe those people should be more concerned with banning guns rather than flags ....... just a thought !

I thought that the debate in America was centred around whether or not it was appropriate for the flag to be flown from a government building, as opposed to banning the flag.