Why is Netherthorpe Rd suddenly so busy?

4 miles is a 1 hr walk, which sounds like it would be quicker than driving in the rush hour.

Alternatively I'd suggest taking an alternative route through Wisewood, Malin Bridge and Crookesmoor.

hey, Cyclone, if I knew it was going to take so long, i possibly would of considered walking. I certainly did half way up Netherthorpe Road ! The only reason we took the car is because of having cancer treatment at the appointment and walking back would not be an alternative. The alternative route you ve given is an idea though. thought going quickest route would be a fuel saver but not in this case.

I can't speak for others but for me personally:

- I like my own space

You've hit the nail bang on the head there. I cross the IRR sometimes several times each day on foot and what I observe is a queue of private vehicles with a driver but 3 4, 5 or more seats empty. This is an unsustainable mode of transport.

You've hit the nail bang on the head there. I cross the IRR sometimes several times each day on foot and what I observe is a queue of private vehicles with a driver but 3 4, 5 or more seats empty. This is an unsustainable mode of transport.

No, I hit the nail on the head with the other 4 points, this was just a "nice to have" that your bias chose to hone in on.

I often observe large, polluting old diesel wagons with 1 or 2 people on board and 50+ spare seats, with 50% of the road capacity reserved for them. That, my friend, is unsustainable.

Edited by WiseOwl182

No, I hit the nail on the head with the other 4 points, this was just a "nice to have" that your bias chose to hone in on.

I often observe large, polluting old diesel wagons with 1 or 2 people on board and 50+ spare seats, with 50% of the road capacity reserved for them. That, my friend, is unsustainable.

Show me an empty bus at rush hour. Round here the 52 is always packed (and its a hybrid bus route now anyway) 95 packed till at least 7.30pm. Bus companies are here to make money for their owners, they are not in the business of running unprofitable routes since deregulation.

The unsustainable quote..not mine, it came from Gordon Murry remember him? He designed the McLaren F1 .

This is his way of thinking these days

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/91104/shell-to-build-t25-city-car-with-gordon-murray

As for bias, Im a 3 car owner. If I had to commute more than 5 miles by car Id do the same as my brother in law. Drive to the outskirts, park somewhere safe, cycle the last couple of miles. The £400 car parking permit Ive saved buying would by a pretty decent new bike each year

Show me an empty bus at rush hour. Round here the 52 is always packed (and its a hybrid bus route now anyway) 95 packed till at least 7.30pm. Bus companies are here to make money for their owners, they are not in the business of running unprofitable routes since deregulation.

The unsustainable quote..not mine, it came from Gordon Murry remember him? He designed the McLaren F1 .

This is his way of thinking these days

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/91104/shell-to-build-t25-city-car-with-gordon-murray

As for bias, Im a 3 car owner. If I had to commute more than 5 miles by car Id do the same as my brother in law. Drive to the outskirts, park somewhere safe, cycle the last couple of miles. The £400 car parking permit Ive saved buying would by a pretty decent new bike each year

Regularly (daily) i follow 3 halfempty 52s at rush hr (half eight) down Handsworth to Darnall. 2 will be first and one will be stagecoach. They jockey for position and fight for 2 or 3 passengers at each stop. Absolutely ridiculous and trebly polluting . No regulation whatsoever about the number on the 52 route at peak times. I'm told they "shouldn't " all be doing this but its unavoidable at peak times. Its easily avoidable as it happens but this is what you get in a free for all private economy

I have to commute much more than 5 miles but I don't have to buy a parking permit. I do not work in town, my parking is free. Due to Sheffield's lack of a full outer ring road, I m forced to drive in to and back out from central roads, unnecessarily adding to congestion.

As mentioned in my earlier post, trams don't reach either end of my journey, buses involve 2 changes and take several times longer, and working for a large company I also occasionally need a car for inter-site travel during the working day. I do like my own space too, but you chose to only quote that aspect out of context - I simply have no viable alternative to a car.

Instead of making life harder for me and people like me, transport planners should be looking at ways to make other forms of transport more viable and easing congestion rather than creating it where cars are the only option.

Instead of making life harder for me and people like me, transport planners should be looking at ways to make other forms of transport more viable and easing congestion rather than creating it where cars are the only option.

I agree in some ways. I campaign for both 20s plenty and Living Streets.

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/

If we can create a city where the car is not always seen as the only choice , eg an environment where children in general walk or cycle to school, rather than are driven. If the car isnt the defacto for every short journey then there will be more road space for people who have no choice but to use a car.

As it stands with the opening of the Diamond building and 3 new pedestrian crossings for the increased student footfall I can only see congestion on the IRR getting worse .