Buckingham Palace to get 150 million paint job

It is reported that The Queen and Phillip are to have their house decorated at a cost of 150 million quid.

It seems as though we will be footing the bill, this while on the streets we have homeless folk as well as bedroom tax on council homes ,

The queen is also seeking a 6% pay rise as she is finding it difficult to manage on the old age pension despite her own wealth being in 100 million pounds area.

She also gets an income from the crown estates that runs into millions per year.

I am going to ring the council up to see if they will white wash our bog:hihi:

You not seen what our "elected" leaders are spending on doing up their gaff and wage increase then?

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 15:03 ----------

As a Republican I'm not surprised that the royals are wasting money on non-jobs whilst the proletariat suffer the enduring impacts of cuts to services and living standards.

Brought about by a government full of non-jobs

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 15:04 ----------

Only we can't sleep there so why should we pay for it?

Can you sleep in No 10 Downing Street?

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 15:06 ----------

That's what I'd read too. Heating/plumbing, rewire and so on.

Still a huge amount of money.

MUCH cheaper than to porposed bill for the HoP, mind i suspect most of the HoP bill is going on MP's expenses

I dont recall voting on all those people in council houses yet I'm happy for them to occupy these state provided buildings....

As I said in response to another user's comment - Tenants in council houses in receipt of Housing Benefit don't have a constitutional role!!!!

So if the Queen has a constitutional role to play it's surely more reasonable for her to get somewhere to do that role from, hmm?

Yes, it is actually but my point was whether we as a country in times of growing poverty and debt should be spending £150 Million on refurbishing the palace.

I am a Republican but I accept that the majority of people want to keep the Queen as Head of State and I (reluctantly) accept that.

The reasons people give for their support are unusual and without foundation but I'm a democrat and that happens in a Democracy.

I dont recall voting on all those people in council houses yet I'm happy for them to occupy these state provided buildings....

At least they pay rent

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 18:40 ----------

So if the Queen has a constitutional role to play it's surely more reasonable for her to get somewhere to do that role from, hmm?

They've got numerous other palaces and facilities.