Utrecht Considering Experiment With Universal Basic Income

Make of this what you will.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/dutch_city_to_experiment_with_universal_basic_income_20150625

The Dutch city of Utrecht is considering introducing a universal basic income—an income unconditionally granted to all its residents on an individual basis, without a means test or work requirement.

The city has teamed up with a local university to place people on welfare on a living income, to analyze how a system of welfare without requirements will function.

As the Basic Income Earth Network explains, basic income is “a form of minimum income guarantee that differs from those that now exist in various European countries in three important ways: it is paid to individuals rather than households; it is paid irrespective of any income from other sources; and it is paid without requiring the performance of any work or the willingness to accept a job if offered.”

It's an interesting idea but I can't see it coming to fruition in Utrecht. Been following the discussions on it and there are many hurdles to be taken before they can manage this.

Well, I did have to amend the headline to say that they are only considering it. As you say, it would be a huge experiment to make.

The scum of Europe will flock there for the free money.

No they won't, unlike the British we actually have a pretty well controlled system to prevent that sort of nonsense. I have been trying to explain that to people like you on this forum for what feels like a decade, but the message is clearly difficult to get across.

No they won't, unlike the British we actually have a pretty well controlled system to prevent that sort of nonsense. I have been trying to explain that to people like you on this forum for what feels like a decade, but the message is clearly difficult to get across.

Who is "we"? Your location says you live in Hillsborough.

The people of the Netherlands - including those who are presently in Hillsborough.

Kinda obvious, innit :)

Hillsborough is a dependency of the Netherlends, a bit like the Channel Islands are of the UK but without all the tax dodgers and dodgy banks