Apple jumps on the Confederate flag bandwagon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33280133/apple-removes-games-featuring-the-confederate-flag-from-app-store

Now im sorry, but banning games featuring the american civil war because they feature the Confederate flag is just ludicous lol

Its a historical fact

Yep, noticed this a few days ago Mel.

I don't think Apple should have gotten involved in this, maybe they felt it would be good PR? Problem is, it upsets developers and more and more Apple's platforms are becoming unattractive (not so lucrative) for developers.

It's also kind of sensorship, like, let's pretend history didn't happen...

yeah, i can see where it may be offensive in public, and places like Amazon and ebay stopping selling stickers and actual flags and purpetuating the offense.

BUT things like the games are meant to be historically accurate, you cant have the games without the flags

Has anyone played the game? If so what is the intent of the 'game'? Is it interactive? Can you change the outcome of history through it, can you change military manoeuvres? If so is it historically factual if you can change its historical outcome?

APPLE:

"We are not removing apps that display the Confederate flag for educational or historical uses."

---------- Post added 27-06-2015 at 14:41 ----------

yeah, i can see where it may be offensive in public, and places like Amazon and ebay stopping selling stickers and actual flags and purpetuating the offense.

BUT things like the games are meant to be historically accurate, you cant have the games without the flags

Is "Historical accuracy" a game?

Has anyone played the game? If so what is the intent of the 'game'? Is it interactive? Can you change the outcome of history through it, can you change military manoeuvres? If so is it historically factual if you can change its historical outcome?

APPLE:

"We are not removing apps that display the Confederate flag for educational or historical uses."

I've not played it. Someone mentioned it the other day, on a FB group I'm a member of. I don't know for sure if Apple pulled the game because of the flag, or if there was another issue with the game (it's possible). The way I read it though, it was about the flag.

Could be that the developer just said that though, in order to get a little publicity and public sympathy. Unless you get it direct from the horses mouth; you never really know!

---------- Post added 27-06-2015 at 17:18 ----------

I'd also question the wisdom of surpassing these kind of things. If you forcibly take things away from people (or limit their supply), demand for them has a habit of increasing...

I'd also question the wisdom of surpassing these kind of things. If you forcibly take things away from people (or limit their supply), demand for them has a habit of increasing...

I'm not sure there has been any force, i.e. government intervention with banning orders other than the Charleston building which was a state decision.. All the withdrawals nationally that have been made have been voluntary by private companies I believe. In that sense I can only applaud..self regulation as it should be, based on good moral judgments.... even if it is a possible cynical smokescreen.:hihi:

I hope the Dukes of Hazzard is not going to be banned from our screens I still love watching the old shows.I read that a us police officer has been banned from taking his replica Dodge Charger to work because it has a confederate flag on its roof.I still want one of those cars.

Edited by ghost rider

The Confederate flag was carried by the southern soldiers into battle. No matter what the cause they were fighting for they fought bravely and honourably and today when the remains of a Confederate soldier are discovered the body is given a burial with full respect and full military honours.

If those dead soldiers were able to speak they wouldn't want a stars and stripes flag on their tombstones, only the flag they fought under. They were men of their times with their own beliefs and loyalties.

I hope that the Confederate flag will continue to be placed on their graves whenever memorial services take place

I find the current hysteria over the issue to be ridiculous and a self serving tool for big business and politicians running for election.

Just because a 21 year old murdering racist scumbag chose to photograph himself bearing the flag doesn't mean to say that the flag that 250,000 men fought and died for should be cast into the garbage can

We people today aren't so very wonderful ourselves and the world is still full of wars, greed and hate. Who are we to condemn those who lived in the past

Edited by Harleyman