Today's nightclubs compared to the 70s

My memory of discos ("clubs?" - bah! - doesn't anyone speak proper English anymore?) from the 70s was:

a) You had to go there - what the hell was Saturday night without diving in the Penthouse or the Daizy for 50p (before 10pm) unless you were in a barmy enough mood for the Hofbrau?

b) OK - it did extend boozing time, but was the warm, flat stuff they served actually beer?

c) Somebody said they went with the lads to the Daizy. Wow! In my day, you didn't dare go in there without something on your arm that was vaguely female, for fear of uncompromising condemnation regarding your sexual preferences. Amongst my friends, the rumour was the bouncers would actually refuse entrance to a boy unless he had a girl with him. We never dared put it to the test, preferring the ritual humiliation of begging a "date for the night" from whoever the rest of the male world had thrown back (as well as the insupportable expense of buying all her drinks and her entrance fee - of course!). Natch - the upshot was there were plenty of unaccompanied sexy girls in hotpants to ogle at.

d) Oh yeah - that fantastic dancefloor! Just how pished (or too skint for another drink) did you have to get to be lured onto it only to discover you actually grudgingly enjoyed it

My clubbing days were mainly between 2007 and 2012 with my regular favourites being Leadmill, Plug, o2 Academy (old Roxys) and Embrace (in the earlier years).

Embrace closed down a year or two ago. It used to be called Kingdom. It was hugely popular when it first re-launched as Embrace and had about 4 or 5 different rooms, including one exclusively for over 25s.

o2 Academy was quite a decent club for the first year or two after it re-opened, but tailed off rather suddenly and people stopped going, and eventually they started to only open one small room (even on Fridays and Saturdays) and kept the larger main room closed, and it lost all its appeal. I think it only really does live gigs now rather than club nights.

Plug and Leadmill are still very popullar I believe, as is Corp although I only went there once (wasn't really my scene). I also went to Niche once (although I think it has a new name now?) and there were more bags of white powder being handed round than at Windy Miller's open day.

Edited by robp_220

In the 70s if you had long hair and wore denim and boots the Penthouse was the place to go, rock was the music of choice and plenty of it.The concrete stairs would not be allowed due to health and safety regs today.The beer ,if it really was beer,came from reading brewery Courage but it didn't travel very well and tasted crap.Happy days.

My memory of discos ("clubs?" - bah! - doesn't anyone speak proper English anymore?) from the 70s was:

a) You had to go there - what the hell was Saturday night without diving in the Penthouse or the Daizy for 50p (before 10pm) unless you were in a barmy enough mood for the Hofbrau?

b) OK - it did extend boozing time, but was the warm, flat stuff they served actually beer?

c) Somebody said they went with the lads to the Daizy. Wow! In my day, you didn't dare go in there without something on your arm that was vaguely female, for fear of uncompromising condemnation regarding your sexual preferences. Amongst my friends, the rumour was the bouncers would actually refuse entrance to a boy unless he had a girl with him. We never dared put it to the test, preferring the ritual humiliation of begging a "date for the night" from whoever the rest of the male world had thrown back (as well as the insupportable expense of buying all her drinks and her entrance fee - of course!). Natch - the upshot was there were plenty of unaccompanied sexy girls in hotpants to ogle at.

d) Oh yeah - that fantastic dancefloor! Just how pished (or too skint for another drink) did you have to get to be lured onto it only to discover you actually grudgingly enjoyed it

Must have been a different Crazy Daizy to the one I went in. We went in as a group of single 18 year old lads regularly on a Saturday afternoon and Monday night and occasionally on a Friday night or as a Saturday night alternative to Samantha's/ Steeley's without any issues

Must have been a different Crazy Daizy to the one I went in. We went in as a group of single 18 year old lads regularly on a Saturday afternoon and Monday night and occasionally on a Friday night or as a Saturday night alternative to Samantha's/ Steeley's without any issues

Parallel universes DO exist. I never doubted it. Mind you.... Samanthas? Steelys? And I thought I wasn't cool!:love:

Parallel universes DO exist. I never doubted it. Mind you.... Samanthas? Steelys? And I thought I wasn't cool!:love:

In 1974-1977 (between the ages of 16-19) I don't remember any of the nightclubs being cool. Sams was the first nightclub I went in following its recent change from The Heartbeat and because we lived on The Valley it was the most convenient. Steeley's was the most popular nightclub in Sheffield at the time regularly being full on a Saturday night with 2000 people in, Baileys, Scamps and The Genevieve never really did it for me although we did go to the latter occasionally. Josephine's opened in this period but with it's renowned strict door policy we thought we would be wasting our time trying to breach it ( I did not take permanent residency there until my mid 20's through until it closed and became Banus). Turn ups and Fanny's meant cars and none of us drove. The only other club we frequented was if in rock mode Wap first then Penthouse.

As for Daizy Monday nights was Northern Soul and Wednesday for Bowie/Roxy

Must agree with Veritas about Crazy Daizy.....as a gang of lads we never had a problem getting in during 1977....Thursday's Friday's or Saturdays...regulars....(although sometimes went with girls when lucky) other clubs Limit usually for bands on Thursdays and also Saturday's... 1978-79 ...maybe Genevieve...Tiffanys down London Road occasionally..crazy nights for us..

Sheffield was epic in the 90's

Love 2 be @ music factory

Rise @ Leadmill

Nemos/Niche

and one of the biggest club nights in the world Gatecrasher @ the Republic, you'd find lots of drugs in those places but rarely any trouble with the exception of Niche, just people having a good time

Quite a few other good nights as well late 90's early 00's then, around 10 years ago, the whole lot went to ***t

Now everything seems to be catered more towards the commercial end, not that I've been clubbing in time like

Went to all those places in the 90's good times.