Today's nightclubs compared to the 70s

Young people are deprived of income and employment and can no longer afford to go clubbing like they did in previous decades. Hence the lack of clubs now compared to the past, even though population has increased.

I don't think thats the case mate, there was widespread unemployment in the 80's and they still thrived, as others have said the changing of licensing hours has led to clubs mostly being surplus to requirements.

I don't think thats the case mate, there was widespread unemployment in the 80's and they still thrived, as others have said the changing of licensing hours has led to clubs mostly being surplus to requirements.

You could afford to go clubbing on the dole then! And to the pub. You'd struggle to afford to do that today working full time.

Night life has culturally changed quite significantly in the last 10 years or so for various reasons including licensing reform.

My era of clubbing was the late 90s and early 00s and even then pubs and bars in town shut at 11. You'd meet up at 8:30pm, do a crawl around town including some of the livelier bars and then when the pubs shut at 11 you'd go to a club to carry on drinking - or you may try and get to the club just before 11 before the queue was bad or when the admission was cheaper! Clubs would close at 2am at which point those that hadn't pulled and left early would pour out, get some fast food then a taxi or night bus home!

These days there are good pubs and nice bars open until 1 or 2 in the morning and clubs stay open all night.

As a result many have no need for a club, those that do go clubbing tend to start their night out much later - possibly after having cheap supermarket booze at home first, although of course some clubs do also double up as live music venues and have a gig earlier on followed by the club night.

Really the only reason to be in a club before 1am is if they are offering the music or atmosphere you want.

You could afford to go clubbing on the dole then! And to the pub. You'd struggle to afford to do that today working full time.

I managed the odd night out whilst unemployed, yes. I think the cost of the products has led to people avoiding these places rather than unemployment.