Is there a growing national consensus for action against ISIL?

I said an extremist cause and didn't specify which country. They have been going for years now to Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia etc. MI6 have estimated thousands in all. The problem is grossly disproportionate and has a significantly negative impact on the country as a whole. It is perfectly reasonable to ask them to act now.
You said 'IS' and 'British Muslims' :|

What I hate are the negative consequences of your religion. Whilst the risk of personal attack by muslim extremists is vey small, I am still paying a price for the extremism that is part and parcel of your religion. We spend billions policing the Muslim extremism problem and are seeing freedoms chipped away at in the name of security. This is not acceptable, needs to change and only Muslims can make the change. If the problems go away then so will my complaints.

If you want to self-harm by denying yourself the joy of bacon sarnies and beer then that's your business. I'd be happier to see the mothballing of Sharia Law that discriminates against women and homosexuals. I'd like to see the burka, a symbol of female oppression, hung up. I'd like to see Muslims keeping their religious practices to themselves instead of bringing them into the workplace and expecting them to be accommodated. I'd like Muslims to generally chill and put greater distance between themselves and extremist beliefs and practices... and therefore stop so many of their youth being lost to extremism.

Most Muslims, like people from all walks of life, are undoubtedly decent people. Doesn't change the fact that the religion they perpetuate has a problem and they need to solve it.

well said. couldnt agree more, all religion is oppressive not just islam the problem lies in twisted ideologies and selective interpretation coupled with blind faith, this issue is polarizing opinion on all fronts, incidentally do they bring their ways into your workplace? i would of thought their ability to do the job and earn the boss his bonus would be more important than their ability to pray.

I have an intrest paying account,

I used to drink but stopped in 2008,

I once ate a sausage roll when I was 6yrs old at a school party and didn't like it,

I always do the lottery on a Friday so yes you are wrong.

One of my private number plates is M6FYA but I do know the guy who has M9FYA so you are wrong again so quit trying to be a smart arse! :hihi:

You practice a version of islam that puts distance between your interpretation of Islam and that of the extremists. Your more liberally outlook means that your kids are less likely to identify with the beliefs held by extremists and are less vulnerable to the lure. The same is not true in Muslim families where the mum wears a burka, the kids are sent to learn the Koran verbatim and their imam preaches homosexuals will burn for eternity. All I ask is that the Muslim community recognise that how they follow their religion has a bearing on the level of extremism it generates. Calming it down down makes the extremism seem alien to Muslim youth and they are therefore less likely to embrace it.

unfortunately as much as it takes, IS have no fear of collateral damage, you have to fight fire with fire, we cannot be frightened off by what might get caught up in it.

There is probably a genuine case to reintroduce the use of napalm bombing against IS/Daish targets such as their base in Palmyra, which, unlike in Vietnam, are not hidden in jungles close to large civilian populations, but are in open areas close to cultural monuments that could be destroyed by blast-bombs from the air. Death by fire-bombing apparently is also regarded as extremely 'haram' by the extremists, as it will cause the soul to burn in Hell.

God forbid that we will have to resort to the extreme act of using battlefield nukes (Tactical Nuclear Weapons) against IS/Daish, but considering that the Russians are thus armed and also have a common cause to defeat Daish, I wouldn't put it beyond them to experiment...

IS/Daish are nothing more and nothing less than the new Nazi Party and for that alone all decent nations must pull together their forces and unite against them, hopefully with the right tactic of aerial/UAV bombardment and ground troops/Special Forces from every nation which has them, those extremist psychopaths can become history not in 'generations' like weak-kneed David Cameron is suggesting, but in a matter of weeks!:gag:

In the name of debating objectivity, it's not 'thousands', more like hundreds.

400 from the UK in Syria now, according to this recent source, far behind France (700).

400 hundred too many, for sure. But less of the sensationalism, it's not helping.

According to Government sources the problem has been severely underestimated, 2000 seems likely.

Mondays Newsnight 35 min mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b061bk4t/newsnight-29062015

According to Government sources the problem has been severely underestimated, 2000 seems likely.

Mondays Newsnight 35 min mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b061bk4t/newsnight-29062015

The DfE also came out this week with criticism of the committee of MPs who investigated the Trojan horse happenings in Birmingham. They said efforts had been made to downplay the seriousness of it.

There is no doubt that politicians can smell the tinder starting to smoulder and are desperately trying to talk things down. I can sort of understand it but the problem with problem denial is the problem doesn't get fixed. I think we are storing trouble up and it will be far worse when it does come.

You practice a version of islam that puts distance between your interpretation of Islam and that of the extremists. Your more liberally outlook means that your kids are less likely to identify with the beliefs held by extremists and are less vulnerable to the lure. The same is not true in Muslim families where the mum wears a burka, the kids are sent to learn the Koran verbatim and their imam preaches homosexuals will burn for eternity. All I ask is that the Muslim community recognise that how they follow their religion has a bearing on the level of extremism it generates. Calming it down down makes the extremism seem alien to Muslim youth and they are therefore less likely to embrace it.

Once again another good post.

---------- Post added 30-06-2015 at 09:54 ----------

The DfE also came out this week with criticism of the committee of MPs who investigated the Trojan horse happenings in Birmingham. They said efforts had been made to downplay the seriousness of it.

There is no doubt that politicians can smell the tinder starting to smoulder and are desperately trying to talk things down. I can sort of understand it but the problem with problem denial is the problem doesn't get fixed. I think we are storing trouble up and it will be far worse when it does come.

The problem is so many are afraid to speak the truth fro fear of being labelled Islamaphobes or racist.

The problem is so many are afraid to speak the truth fro fear of being labelled Islamaphobes or racist.

One man's truth is another man's headfart.

Maybe if you're afraid or sensitive of a 'label' maybe threads and forums are not for you.