Weird visual disturbances 10cm from eyes

I'm a diabetic, so I'm a bit concerned, since last week I have strange flashes/zig zags that appear about(or seem to appear) 10 cm from my eyes, they are more prevalent when I move around/get up, I haven't been very good and have also has some unpleasant migraine type symptoms, could they be an after effect of them? I did note an earlier thread suggested allergies may have a bearing or migraine, both of which are prevalent with me at present.

Edited by manwithaview

I'm a diabetic, so I'm a bit concerned, since last week I have strange flashes/zig zags that appear about(or seem to appear) 10 cm from my eyes, they are more prevalent when I move around/get up, I haven't been very good and have also has some unpleasant migraine type symptoms, could they be an after effect of them? I did note an earlier thread suggested allergies may have a bearing or migraine, both of which are prevalent with me at present.

Diabetes can effect your eyes so you need to see your doctor tomorrow. It's probably nothing more than a migraine, but you'll be foolish to ignore it.

I suffer from migraines and get visual disturbances more than actual headaches. Mine appear as a line of twinkly/flashing lights that seem like theyre just on the edge of my vision. They start off as a dot, then seem to spread into the line.

If this is a new thing for you I think Id go to the doctors, just to be on the safe side.

I have the same problem with flashing zigzag lines which are also there when I close my eyes, and find its normally the start of a migraine. As soon as I notice it I take a few Paracetamol and it normally goes away within 15 mins and it does not develop into a full blown migraine then.

I also wear glasses with reactions now that darken in bright light which help a lot.

If you're diabetic then I'm afraid you simply can't write this off as a migraine without getting your eyes checked by someone who is confident in diabetic eye care. I'd be down the eye casualty at the RHH tomorrow if I were you.

It's probably a migraine but it's lasted a lot longer than most migraine visual auras do, so someone needs to check your eyes out.

I get migraine auras, and, while flashes/zig zags are common in migraine auras, mine only last around 25 minutes, and, I may be wrong, but I thought migraine auras in general tend to be similarly short in duration.

called a silent Migraine, i get them from time to time last about half hour then they clear, no pain but looks like broken glass across and at edge of vision, happens about 2 times a year to me, a bit scary at first i just lay down and try and sleep.