Did anyone go to the Abbeydale Picture House?

post your full name along with your memories guys so we can put them up!

If you'd like to come along the revivsl is on 18th & 19th July. We're selling tickets online just go to http://www.picturehouserevival.co.uk. We also have a few physical tickers down at Kelham Island Tavern, Rare & Racey and The Rude Shipyard. We'll be down at the Picture House this Sunday for the carboot if you want to come and have a chat about what we're doing.

Edited by ismarbadzic

Went there often in the 50/60s. Do you remember the commissionaire who used to organise the queuing and parking? Sure was a tight fit in that car park. Good job hardly anybody went by car.

If I remember correctly, if it was busy, you queued down one side or the other depending on whether you were going in stall or circle. Those comfy red sofas on the landing outside the circle?

Sweets at the shop on Abbeydale Rd,as mentioned previously, before you went in then if you were lucky afterwards a glass of sass at Pops and a bag of chips at Bedale Fisheries.

Strangely can't remember what I saw apart from ' Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush ' and some rubbish Steptoe film. I think that would have been late 60s. All the stuff I saw as a child is eluding me, probably cos we went that often. We lived at Totley and it was a quick hop onto the 45 and a couple of hours of cheap entertainment.

Without wishing to be pedantic, Mario Lanza only sang on the soundtrack, Edmund Purdom was the miming "Student Prince'.

You're right, the miming was shocking but, we went every Saturday night so we didn't care about the film too much.

Regards,

Duffems

Some memories there, Dreb48! I think the last film I saw at the Abbeydale was The Graduate in 1968. While my friends and I were queueing for a tall glass of sass we were discussing the marque of Dustin Hoffman's sports car. For the record, it was an Alfa Romeo 'Spider'..:)

Hi beech nut. A tall glass of sass? That must have been at least sixpence. My dream was to have one in a proper beer glass with handles but that would have meant going without the chips. No way!

Think I saw ' The Graduate ' there too

Can you give me more information on the Laurel & Hardy showing please? Time/price etc? I any view the website well from my phone. Thanks.

It'll be great to have you Dozer!

S8 Laurel and Hardy will be on at 6pm on Sunday 19th. Although I'd encourage you to come for the first film, The Call of the Road too with live piano performance. It's £10 day ticket £17 for the weekend although that will be going up slightly as we run out of early bird tickets.