Did anyone go to the Abbeydale Picture House?

When we were first married (1970) we had a small flat on Emily Road and so the Abbeydale was in very easy reach. However I only recall going to it once and that was to see a documentary film called 'Blue Water, White Death'. It was all about the great white shark. Maybe it gave someone the inspiration to write Jaws.

The cinema itself I seem to recall was quite tatty and run down even then.

Poppletons was situated on the site of the continental grocers at the top corner of Bedale Rd. With regard to the Abbeydale being "tatty" in later years, this may have been so, but what I regarded as my local cinemas namely Abbeydale, Heeley Palace and Heeley Coliseum the Abbeydale was far and away the most classiest and quite "posh".

Edited by sharrovian
addition

I lived just down from the picture house on Aizlewood Road and spent many an hour hanging around there as a kid.

Riding our bikes around in the car park and going up and down the ramp at the back.

One day whilst out playing about as kids do we heard a female voice shouting for help and discovered that it was a lady stuck in the toilets around the back of the building. We went into the foyer to report it and then back around the back to let her know help was on it's way, as a reward we were given a box of fruit pastilles (back in the day they came in small boxes) but were still told off for playing about around the building !

The first films I saw were there, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Herbie, I vaguely remember other visits sat downstairs with my mum.

And then in later years when it became Drakes Office Furniture with the snooker club still going on in the basement we used to build dens under the ramp that backed on down the embankment to Heeley Baths and the dairy on Broadfield Road.

A great building and so glad it's still around.

Hi Daryl, What a story! What's your last name? Can we use your story for the exhibition?

And of course, you should absolutely come down.

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 20:36 ----------

Further to a previous post the sarsaparilla was 2d a glass or 4d a pint. The last films to show were "Breakout" with Charles Bronson and "The lords of Flatbush". I remember seeing "The Mark of Zorro" with Tyrone Power, I could go on and on . . .

Did you see the last films yourself? We thought about putting those on but we thought the first film ever was a bit more special. Maybe next time...

Was the Sass expensive or was that considered quite cheap at the time?

When we were first married (1970) we had a small flat on Emily Road and so the Abbeydale was in very easy reach. However I only recall going to it once and that was to see a documentary film called 'Blue Water, White Death'. It was all about the great white shark. Maybe it gave someone the inspiration to write Jaws.

The cinema itself I seem to recall was quite tatty and run down even then.

I've still got the (picture) book version. Did over 500 dives in the Saudi Red Sea and never saw a Great White, although the others made up for it.

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 07:59 ----------

Oh the memories

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

GI Blues

How long ago was that?? would have to have been around 1962 ish

Good to see you again, hope you both. My granddaughter has just been to Oz for three weeks and loved it :thumbsup:

Hi Daryl, What a story! What's your last name? Can we use your story for the exhibition?

And of course, you should absolutely come down.

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 20:36 ----------

Did you see the last films yourself? We thought about putting those on but we thought the first film ever was a bit more special. Maybe next time...

Was the Sass expensive or was that considered quite cheap at the time?

You can gladly use my story, i'm trying to remember the name of my friend at the time, i'm sure it was Barclay Simpson, he had a Tomahawk bike and I had a Budgie and we both lived on Aizlewood Road. That stretch of Abbeydale Road from Bedale Road back down towards Chippinghouse Road was our playground back then. The surname is Slinn by the way.

Just gutted that we are actually away that weekend, I nearly bought tickets online and just though as I was about to checkout to verify the dates and yep we are away, sadly.

Edited by darylslinn

As young lads our trick was to go and watch the early film then hide in the toilets until the film started again about an hour later.

The other memories I have are standing outside asking people to take you in with them as you were too young to watch certain films, one was a Bruce Lee film where you had to be certain age to get in with an adult. Good times lol.