Protest against Austerity Sheffield 8th July

Absolutely understand that it affects working people.

Child benefit is another one - should that be capped at two children? Maybe three?

However, if we look at the amount of people who don't work and are claiming benefits (and I don't mean those who genuinely can't work) then there's a great saving to be made!

The majority of the benefits bill is in work benefits, hb, disabled and pensioner benefits. Benefit fraud is tiny in comparison. And it costs to enforce and administrate.

One might argue fiscally those resources are better used plugging the 31bn tax gap.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 08:47 ----------

Indeed, and lots of monies should be re-directed into other services that are hugely underfunded.

Bad news for you pal. Councils are being cut too! Sheffield 300million over 5 yrs i believe.

The majority of the benefits bill is in work benefits, hb, disabled and pensioner benefits. Benefit fraud is tiny in comparison. And it costs to enforce and administrate.

One might argue fiscally those resources are better used plugging the 31bn tax gap.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 08:47 ----------

Bad news for you pal. Councils are being cut too! Sheffield 300million over 5 yrs i believe.

I'm not necessarily talking about local funding.

Bizarre to see so many conservatives posting on here, this is Sheffield where the party doesn't even have one seat, if this was Surrey then yes one would expect this forum to be dominated by such perspectives, but here?

In other words why are so few progressives posting on SF, have they been scared off, bored, see it as a waste of time, while the right feel more confident, questions.

so who's going? Might have an amble up and see who's there.

If any of the forumsters would like to have a natter there to give me their alternative (viable) plans to the cuts then let me know and lets hook up

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 11:30 ----------

Bizarre to see so many conservatives posting on here, this is Sheffield where the party doesn't even have one seat, if this was Surrey then yes one would expect this forum to be dominated by such perspectives, but here?

Who's the tories in the thread?

Just because they don't have the majority doesn't mean there are any.

Or are you just calling people Tories because they agree with austerity?

In other words why are so few progressives posting on SF, have they been scared off, bored, see it as a waste of time, while the right feel more confident, questions.

I can only speak for myself on this question. I took the advice of George Carlin who said, "Never argue with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

They know who they are!

Don't worry, SF hasn't been hijacked by Maggie Thatcher's flying monkeys; we're just jealous of anybody else receiving a financial benefit that we aren't entitled to :D

So who went then? good turnout?

Probably the usual SWP rentamob and Sheffield Councillors or would be councillors.

Have you noticed they have picked a working day. Which is good for us workers but says really that they probably arnt workers themselves.

Probably the usual SWP rentamob and Sheffield Councillors or would be councillors.

Have you noticed they have picked a working day. Which is good for us workers but says really that they probably arnt workers themselves.

But isn't that because SCC only allow you to hold a demonstration at the weekend if you're Gay, Somalian, soldiers, disabled, or a traveller?