I think we expect too much from the position of Prime Minister

ten years on and the problem is that civilians like us still expect too much of politicians.

We want superhuman politicians who know everything about everything while being scrutinised and held to account for every edited and out of context remark they make.

The reality is that they are, or should be, really busy people who are surrounded by advisers and entire departments who actually do the work on the portfolio that they lead. Cameron is no more responsible for the unaffordable housing crisis than Sheffield Council's chief executive is for the binman spilling the remains of a vindaloo outside your house. Corbyn just isn't responsible to set policy at all so we shouldn't expect much.

THIS is how they get their information in an effort to be with it.

Expect too much?

We have never been so heavily legislated by multiple political bodies. The EU, the government, Parliament, the house of Lords, councils, governing bodies, quangos, advisors, experts etc etc etc.

All this costs an absolute fortune! That's why we've every right to expect a lot of them.

They make a huge difference to daily life for everybody for good and bad. Either do it right, or leave us alone and let us get on with it.

Expect too much?

We have never been so heavily legislated by multiple political bodies. The EU, the government, Parliament, the house of Lords, councils, governing bodies, quangos, advisors, experts etc etc etc.

All this costs an absolute fortune! That's why we've every right to expect a lot of them.

They make a huge difference to daily life for everybody for good and bad. Either do it right, or leave us alone and let us get on with it.

Do they make a huge difference to everyone's daily life? I dont think they do if I'm honest.

I think the requirement to "Not Lie Through Your Teeth" is pretty straightforward!

I'd have said that was a prerequisite to being a PM.

Unfortunate I've got those initials...But a lot would say that's because I only wake up in the afternoon!

When I was watching the news it occured to me don't we expect too much of the PM nowadays? Not specifically Big Tone, but just from the post. He/She's expected to carry so much in their head for consideration, amongst other things to be responsible for in a day they have

- Policy in the Middle East

- the NHS

- the economy

- Irish 'troubles'

- education

- the state of their own pol party

- immigration

- smoking bans and other peripherals

- crime

- business regulation and competition

- bird flu type problems

Isn't it just ridiculous to expect someone to be able to know about all these things from day one and be responsible for them, I mean, I wonder how many of us would cope when things change so much daily and you have little control over what happens externally to your country like the global economy and stuff. Is there any one person who could do this satisfactorily or are we doomed to be forever disappointed with our PMs?

Not at all. thats what you have a cabinet and civil service for. He should know how to delegate. its the civil service that really run the country.

Not at all. thats what you have a cabinet and civil service for. He should know how to delegate. its the civil service that really run the country.

Senior civil servants seem quite sanguine about politicians whenever I come across them. There seems to be a general attitude that politicians come and go but there will always be an England while there are Sir Humphry's around.

Apart from the idiot Brown McRuin I have no doubt that PM's do know how to delegate. The trouble is that lots of people try to make out that a PM makes every decision and knows everything rather than the PM being more of a CEO with general oversight.

Do they make a huge difference to everyone's daily life? I dont think they do if I'm honest.

Why have them then? And why pay them so much?

Actually I do think they make a difference, not always positive, but it takes so long it usually hits home when they're no longer in office.

Why have them then? And why pay them so much?

Actually I do think they make a difference, not always positive, but it takes so long it usually hits home when they're no longer in office.

I'd argue we don't need as many. Too often they appear powerless to do much and I'd argue that a big chunk of our daily lives is in the hands of coked up young bankers and traders.

Civil Service is not the issue.

But the PM is not responsible for other Ministers' departments; so end the farce of PMQs relating to them.