Give Sheffield Airport a chance.

you miss the point. if 50,000 of the folk from sheffield doncaster scunthorpe and worksop who are off to ibiza or majorca on club 198/35 didn't need to use heathrow it would free up slots for folk from tokyo who actually want to fly to london.

Why would Doncaster try to take this on when Manchester, Leeds/Bradford & East Midlands already have that market sorted ?

Why would Doncaster try to take this on when Manchester, Leeds/Bradford & East Midlands already have that market sorted ?

well i suppose you could say sheffield doesn't need an aerport, it doesn't need better access to robin hood, it doesnt really need hs2 or hs3. sheffield doesnt need to be part of the northern powerhouse and could just continue to be left behind by other places

Heathrow is not my favourite airport but sometimes I have to use it. This morning we flew into Heathrow from Boston and as usual the pilot apologised that we would be in a stack for about 30 mins because it was very busy. When we finally landed it took just over an hour to go through immigration and security before we could find the BA lounge for a shower and breakfast. At least we won't have to go through it all again for our connecting flight to Manchester. The only consolation is, we are sat in the Concorde lounge enjoying the hospitality and watching the planes before the next flight.

In the days of Sheffield City Airport and the connectiing flights to Amsterdam we could and did fly almost anywhere in the world, sadly something we can't do from the great big airport at Doncaster.

well i suppose you could say sheffield doesn't need an aerport, it doesn't need better access to robin hood, it doesnt really need hs2 or hs3. sheffield doesnt need to be part of the northern powerhouse and could just continue to be left behind by other places

Correct, Sheffield does not need an airport. I'd love for us to have one but the requirement is just not there due to Robin Hood, Manchester, Leeds/Bradford and Nottingham East Midlands.

Doncaster does need improved access links but that won't fix the LHR capacity issues.

You seem to think that once Doncaster is improved, we'll go toe to toe with LHR. Think again. We might go close to competing with Leeds/Bradford with some flights, nothing more.

LHR still needs a 3rd runway to ease capacity and even then, due to how good their airport is (global hub), it'll fill up close to capacity once again.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 12:48 ----------

Heathrow is not my favourite airport but sometimes I have to use it.

Exactly, when looking at flights to New York the week before Christmas last year I already booked my hotel so was fixed on certain dates, LHR had 10 flights to JFK, Newark and La Guardia. Manchester had 1 indirect flight via... LHR.

Edited by byeo

If Sheffield did have an airport how do you persuade airlines to fly to it?

according to the travel brochures there are hundreds. they are know as charters

And can you find anyone from Sheffield that travels to Heathrow to catch such a flight, instead of using one of the local airports?

What do you actually mean by getting through security in less than a minute.

I've gotten through security at Heathrow T5 in under a minute if I'm timing myself from reaching the point of putting my carry on into the tray and walking through the X-ray machine.

I said Manchester or Leeds and did not mention Heathrow.

For all I know they also use more expensive better equipment in Heathrow.

Have a good time in Amsterdam if you get a chance before your meeting.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 13:18 ----------

And can you find anyone from Sheffield that travels to Heathrow to catch such a flight, instead of using one of the local airports?

Yes, I know someone who did that last month.

For Sheffield to compete it needs to stop paying catch up, because other cities aren't standing still waiting for Sheffield. Its got to do something radical to get the people in, not be years behind the others championing city living, opening up the water fronts, making city centre shopping centres, cashing in on ethnic areas (Chinatown, Curry Mile) and so on.