Give Sheffield Airport a chance.

I went to Dublin a few months ago, I used Manchester... I expect I'd do the same if I was going to Belfast.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 16:28 ----------

Yep, easyjet 55 mins, £81.

Why on earth would I travel for 3 hrs to Heathrow to then fly 1:20 aer lingus, £143...

Sheffield to Manc Airport 1:20 on the train, check in 1 hr before flight, I could be IN Belfast before someone could even GET to heathrow from Sheffield!

oh well thats ok then. it is just that if i were looking to set up my business and needed to get to these places when there was a foot of snow on the ground i might think that a factory in manchester was rather move convenient for manchester airport. that probably explains why manchester leeds and liverpool are leaving sheffield behind and when they talk of the northern powerhouse they don't mention sheffield. i bet thats why hs2 will by pass sheffield and no one bothered to build a motorway from here to manchester

so why do they need a 3rd runway at heathrow when so many folk would find manchester far more convenient.

but your figures do demonstrate why sheffield is dropping behind because of lack of airport. would you care to flesh out this journey of yours from leaving home or the office, the train to manchester, check in flight to belfast/dublin return to manchester wait for train and getting back to base. it won't look pretty compared to the guy who gets his secretary to make a 20 minute drive to drop him at the local airport.

Edited by drummonds

so why do they need a 3rd runway at heathrow when so many folk would find manchester far more convenient.

Because LHR is a global hub, business which operate out of London want potential business partners/employees and everything else to fly into LHR and not Robin Hood, Manc or East Midlands. The demand to fly into LHR is huge due to the fact it's close to London.

When the likes of Goldman Sachs open up their Sheffield branch, things may change...

London is where the money is, businesses go where the money is.

Capacity at LHR is at around 99%, demand for slots at LHR far exceeds that, adding a third runway is a no brainier.

The diversity of London and the surrounding areas is huge, people will want to visit their home country to see family and friends, LHR gives them that option. Up North we have diversity, just not on the scale of London, PIA have regular flights from Man and Leeds/Bradford due to that reason. Man, Doncaster, East Mids and Leeds/Bradford are not at capacity so improving them is pointless.

That's why they need the third runway.

Edited by byeo

Because LHR is a global hub, business which operate out of London want potential business partners/employees and everything else to fly into LHR and not Robin Hood, Manc or East Midlands. The demand to fly into LHR is huge due to the fact it's close to London.

When the likes of Goldman Sachs open up their Sheffield branch, things may change...

London is where the money is, businesses go where the money is.

Capacity at LHR is at around 99%, demand for slots at LHR far exceeds that, adding a third runway is a no brainier.

The diversity of London and the surrounding areas is huge, people will want to visit their home country to see family and friends, LHR gives them that option. Up North we have diversity, just not on the scale of London, PIA have regular flights from Man and Leeds/Bradford due to that reason. Man, Doncaster, East Mids and Leeds/Bradford are not at capacity so improving them is pointless.

That's why they need the third runway.

yes i can see that. london attracts all the investment because it has a major airport and the best communications to every major centre in the uk. sheffield doesn't attract investment because it doesn't have these. sheffield doesn't warrant a motorway to manchester because the likes of goldman sachs haven't invested here because we don't have an airport or a motorway to manchester and until we do they won't. but sheffield does not warrant such investment because these folks were put off coming here because we didn't have those things. the northern powerhouse will create a major commercial centre to bring in investment to leeds, manchester bradford and liverpool because they have the motorways and airports to support it and will by pass sheffield because it doesn't.

so thats why they aren't prioritising the electrification of the rail system round here. got it. if i were bothered about such things i would be asking my elected politicians why.

yes i can see that. london attracts all the investment because it has a major airport and the best communications to every major centre in the uk. sheffield doesn't attract investment because it doesn't have these. sheffield doesn't warrant a motorway to manchester because the likes of goldman sachs haven't invested here because we don't have an airport or a motorway to manchester and until we do they won't. but sheffield does not warrant such investment because these folks were put off coming here because we didn't have those things. the northern powerhouse will create a major commercial centre to bring in investment to leeds, manchester bradford and liverpool because they have the motorways and airports to support it and will by pass sheffield because it doesn't.

so thats why they aren't prioritising the electrification of the rail system round here. got it. if i were bothered about such things i would be asking my elected politicians why.

I've got it, it seems like before this post, you didn't.

yes i can see that. london attracts all the investment because it has a major airport and the best communications to every major centre in the uk.

London was a major international city / business centre long before it had an airport.

Agree - there should be a rapid transport link to/from DSA but it doens't look like that's going to happen.

The link road to Doncaster airport is under construction already, and is due

to open in Jan 2016. Hopefully this will bring a increase in

schedule flights, alongside the existing holiday charter flights.

London was a major international city / business centre long before it had an airport.

but they seem to say that without a 3rd runway at heathrow it will fall back, so how do you think it will help sheffield to gain ground because it hasnt?

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 19:18 ----------

The link road to Doncaster airport is under construction already, and is due

to open in Jan 2016. Hopefully this will bring a increase in

schedule flights, alongside the existing holiday charter flights.

i was amazed that they will build a tunnel from a potash mine near whitby to teeside but a major city like sheffield doesn't warrant a rail link to the local airport

but they seem to say that without a 3rd runway at heathrow it will fall back, so how do you think it will help sheffield to gain ground because it hasnt?

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 19:18 ----------

i was amazed that they will build a tunnel from a potash mine near whitby to teeside but a major city like sheffield doesn't warrant a rail link to the local airport

I understand that Network Rail turned down any plans to build a

link to Doncaster/Sheffield Airport

Edited by bazjea

If an airport for Sheffield was economically viable (ie profitable) then someone would build one. I think the fact that there are three airports within an hours drive and Manchester not much further away (in fact I've done it in an hour in light traffic) means that another would be unviable.

The potash tunnel is being financed by a private company.

If an airport for Sheffield was economically viable (ie profitable) then someone would build one. I think the fact that there are three airports within an hours drive and Manchester not much further away (in fact I've done it in an hour in light traffic) means that another would be unviable.

The potash tunnel is being financed by a private company.

i think you have that slightly wrong. if an airport were economically viable to its operators someone would look to build one. that is not the same as an airport bringing financial reward to the area whilst not making a huge return as an airport. i doubt the m1 generates any profit as a road although it brings benefit to the region through which it passes. it seems odd that folk talk of hs2 shaving a few minutes off the journey times to london yet talk of travelling an extra hour to get to the airport.