Give Sheffield Airport a chance.

It now takes about 40 minutes from Sheffield to Doncaster Airport

Flights to Amsterdam and Paris Charles de Gaulle. Handy for business

uers No need to spend millions on a new airport.

Not sure which way you're going but from Sheffield city centre I can do it easy in 30 mins now the new link road is open. It will be even quicker when the second phase opens early 2017.

Probably because there is a lot of people wanting to fly into London, not a city three hours away from London? Building another runway in Sheffield isn't going to create demand!

There don't appear to be any flights to France from there, that would be a start!

This is a bit of a fallacy, or rather, a chicken and egg situation. There are millions of people in the North who do NOT want to fly from Heathrow, or, even worse Gatwick (it`s even more difficult to get to), yet often they have no choice. We don`t really go on long haul holidays since our lad was born, but when we did we had to fly from Heathrow three times and Gatwick once, even though we really really didn`t want to, simply because there was no flight* to where we needed to go from Manchester.

* Colombo, Shanghai, Havana and Split (the latter isn`t even long haul ! ). Emirates now flies to 2 of these, but you have to change in Dubai, and they don`t do Premium Economy. Business Class is too expensive and I`m not flying long haul economy, no chance. I`d rather not bother going at all !

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 10:02 ----------

Not sure which way you're going but from Sheffield city centre I can do it easy in 30 mins now the new link road is open. It will be even quicker when the second phase opens early 2017.

What`s this second phase ?

At the moment it takes you from J3 of the M18 to the end of Bawtry Rd, you then have a country road to go on. Basically the second phase will take you to the airports door.

Plans here.

http://farrrs.com/d/Life-on-FARRRS_LR.pdf

I`d have thought Parrot`s Corner would get, how do we say in Sheff, snided !

Edited by Justin Smith

Doncaster has an airport, Manchester has a good airport, and Derby has a good low cost airport. All can be reached within an hour dependent on traffic and if we ever get hs3 to Sheffield then we will have Manchester airport direct in under 30 mins! I would much rather have that than have our own airport with all the associated pollution and noise. Plus there is no where in Sheffield to put the airport.

The old airport had a runway too small for most planes and the only suitable nearby location would be east of Rotherham which would be about 5 to 10 miles away from Donny airport. So that would be a stupid location to build a Sheffield airport.

Doncaster has an airport, Manchester has a good airport, and Derby has a good low cost airport. All can be reached within an hour dependent on traffic and if we ever get hs3 to Sheffield then we will have Manchester airport direct in under 30 mins! I would much rather have that than have our own airport with all the associated pollution and noise. Plus there is no where in Sheffield to put the airport.

The old airport had a runway too small for most planes and the only suitable nearby location would be east of Rotherham which would be about 5 to 10 miles away from Donny airport. So that would be a stupid location to build a Sheffield airport.

This is true, see this topographical map of the Sheffield area.