Give Sheffield Airport a chance.

• 4 weeks later...
Sheffield is never going to be considered a main airport hub so it is a waste of money to even spend a single pound on any form of expansion. There are more established airports that would benefit far more greatly from further investment.

What a depressingly defeatist attitude that is.

Not sure which way you're going but from Sheffield city centre I can do it easy in 30 mins now the new link road is open. It will be even quicker when the second phase opens early 2017.

I did it a couple of weeks ago - admittedly it was an early morning start, but I did it in exactly one hour from my driveway (North Sheffield) to sat in the terminal, airside, eating a bacon butty. I was impressed.

Every big city in the country has an air port like Liverpool Norwich, Bristol Great Yarmouth, Leeds why hasn't Sheffield a big city like. Ours needs an airport that can take jumbo jets and the big air bus never mind Robin Hood that's not Sheffield planners get your finger out

Every big city in the country has an air port like Liverpool Norwich, Bristol Great Yarmouth, Leeds why hasn't Sheffield a big city like. Ours needs an airport that can take jumbo jets and the big air bus never mind Robin Hood that's not Sheffield planners get your finger out

I can't think of a single location in Sheffield that could take the runway, the terminal buildings and infrastructure required, plus approaches that 747 and A380 require.

Can you? If so, let us know. Even better, let those planners know.

Well we do have an airport - Sheffield/Doncaster Robin Hood Airport :) Bear in mind that Leeds/Bradford is 11 miles from Leeds, Manchester Airport is 10 miles from the city centre on the Cheshire border; in fact most major airports are a fair distance from the cities they serve. Personally, if I was going to spend a few billion quid (!) I'd spend it on a decent, direct rail line from Sheffield and Doncaster to Robin Hood, (Hull as well, why not?), rather than have a noisy, polluting, space-hungry international airport right next to the city.

There are a heck of a lot of posts on the thread, so apologies if someone has already covered this, but I reckon transpenine trains run an appalling service between here and Manchester airport. I have regularly had to stand, or at least sit on my suitcase beoetween Sheffield and Manchester Piccadilly if travelling on a weekend. It's no good buying a first class ticket either, because if it gets so bad people just go into first class anyway and refuse to move. The last two times that happened there was no sign of any staff. There are no extra spaces for suitcases . On an airport train. Give me a break. Also it Has to be said that I was no fan of Edward Heath, but he did suggest a new London airport at Mapplin Sands which I thought a good idea.

Edited by spilldig