Chris Evans "Pull your curtains shut"

It may also prevent house fires.

Bedroom dressing table near the window with a mirror is a big no-no.

Quite correct, we had relatives whose house burnt down when the sunlight was magnified and reflected off a glass bowl.

It's more common that one might imagine.

Having said that the bowl was on the windowsill, and it was the curtains that caught fire. So if you do close your curtains, make sure there are no glass trinkets on your windowsill.

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 18:18 ----------

If you'd have actually listened to him he was reading out recommendations by listeners so he was hardly 'demanding' anything as you put it.

Other reccomendations he read out included holding a wet flannel infront of a childs hair dryer and let that cool you so i think you were supposed to take it with a large pinch of salt.

I did listen to him, from 1:06:30 here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zh1gn

"If you are about to leave your house, STOP, do not leave your house ..."

I think he read out some listener's recommendations earlier/later.

This. It is also a cultural thing, in the Netherlands people do invest in it in the South (my brother in Eindhoven has them) in the North they are very rare, yet in the North of Germany, just over the border, all houses have them, same for Belgium.

Frankly, I don't like them, I'd rather see the traditional wooden shutters that we had in the North as you can see here: https://stock-foto.nationalebeeldbank.nl/nationalebeeldbank_2015-2-904831-2_traditioneel-pakhuis-met-raam-luiken.jpeg

I used to love my shutters in Germany. They were great for the night shift because they made the room darker than a catholic priest socks.

I used to love my shutters in Germany. They were great for the night shift because they made the room darker than a catholic priest socks.

Yeah, we have them on the inside of our bedroom now, although over time they got a bit looser, when we first had them they completely blacked out the room in combination with a roller-blind in front of them.

(I should know, I knocked my manly regions on the bed-post more than I care to remember).

Of course, if British houses had external shutters, you could close the shutters (fully or partially, depending on type) to reflect heat and leave the windows open behind them to help airflow...

...but as I was explaining to my little nephew who'd just arrived last night and visiting us this week, and who was asking about why our house doesn't have shutters, I can't remember the last time I saw any house around here with shutters :(

My last student digs in Broomhill had internal shutters.

Only if they are light curtains, but dark curtains will make the room hotter.

They will be less effective, but I'm not sure that they will make the room hotter than just letting the sun in directly to heat it.