Cambridge Street, Sheffield

I am trying to find the name of a hotel (public house?) which used to be at 38, Cambridge Street in 1910. Is there anyone out there who might know how I can find out this information or perhaps has an old photo? Unlikely I know.

Cambridge Street as it now is bears no resemblance to how it used to be when I was young (1950s) let alone 1910.

Grannypat

I am trying to find the name of a hotel (public house?) which used to be at 38, Cambridge Street in 1910. Is there anyone out there who might know how I can find out this information or perhaps has an old photo? Unlikely I know.

Cambridge Street as it now is bears no resemblance to how it used to be when I was young (1950s) let alone 1910.

Grannypat

It was the infamous but very popular Barleycorn, at least it was in the 60's

Here's a 1901 photo of Barleycorn Inn, 38 Cambridge Street according to Picture Sheffield. Doesn't look anything like Blackbeard's later photo though. The road line looks different too. Maybe it's the back entrance. Is this how you remember it grannypat or is it incorrect? Or well before your time :hihi:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00131&prevUrl=

Have just noticed that the writing on the photo surround seems to have parts of the words Barleycorn and Cambridge.

Maybe it is a previous building on the site or prior to later alterations ??

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Grannypat

And further up the rd was i think the Sportsman the Albert on corner

but Albert pub long gone.

Wow! You are all fantastic. I spent ages trying to solve this problem to no avail and so decided to post my question on SF as a last resort. I knew about The Barleycorn from when I was young but assumed it would have had another name so many years earlier. Thank you all very, very much.

Grannypat

Wow! You are all fantastic. I spent ages trying to solve this problem to no avail and so decided to post my question on SF as a last resort. I knew about The Barleycorn from when I was young but assumed it would have had another name so many years earlier. Thank you all very, very much.

Grannypat

I'm pleased that you found the posts useful Grannypat.

I have just edited my previous post as have noticed that the handwriting on the photo surround seems to have parts of the words Barleycorn and Cambridge.

For more pics of Barleycorn pub, click on this http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and type barleycorn in the search box.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR