Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Born in attercliffe progressed bit by bit to live in Dore then Kingston Upon thames. Lived for the past 10 years in Marbella, costa del sol. Have visited the UK since but not sheffield, miss it in a sort of nostalgic way but if I came back to the UK would not consider living there.

How I agree with you. I was in the RAF between 55 and 58 and lucky enough to travel to Turkey, Malaya and Singapore. I never settled on returning to Sheffield and emigrated to Perth, Western Australia with my wife and three little kids in 1966. I was homesick for about two hours and then settled for good. I have been back three times over the years to visit family and friends but I always wished that I hadn't, I should have retained my old memories. Frank

Born in attercliffe progressed bit by bit to live in Dore then Kingston Upon thames. Lived for the past 10 years in Marbella, costa del sol. Have visited the UK since but not sheffield, miss it in a sort of nostalgic way but if I came back to the UK would not consider living there.

Where in Attercliffe did you live? I lived in Colwall St. opposite Banners.

I lived further down, my Grandmother had a shop at 211 Attercliffe Common. remember the traffic being busy even when I was a kid. all my relatives lived around there, Berkely St, Amberly St. I went to Carbrook school and later Coleridge Road.

Reading all the threads I am suprised that a lot of the things I remember seem to have gone. I used to work in the top floor offices at Carters on Attercliffe Road and we couldn't call each other by first names, we were all known as "Miss..."

:wave: hi only found this site last night. I moved away from sheffield in 1982 married a raf man. lived in Aldershot hants for 3 years. then moved to Germany for 3 years. then back to England cornwall 1 year. He came out of raf. moved to his home town sunny bristol. We divorced brought up 2 children by my self. Now remarried lovely bristol man and living happily hopefully everafter. I have always revisited Sheffield in school holidays whenever i could. I miss the sheffield people and the sence of humour. Lots of Bristolians have no sence of humour at all. I lived at 288 attercliffe common untill about 1966 then i moved to middlewood.

I lived further down, my Grandmother had a shop at 211 Attercliffe Common. remember the traffic being busy even when I was a kid. all my relatives lived around there, Berkely St, Amberly St. I went to Carbrook school and later Coleridge Road.

Reading all the threads I am suprised that a lot of the things I remember seem to have gone. I used to work in the top floor offices at Carters on Attercliffe Road and we couldn't call each other by first names, we were all known as "Miss..."

Katerina, We used to swim in the Don near Carters. Always came out covered in grease and filth from the factories How we survived I will never know, but we did and loved every minute of it. Frank.

I moved from sheffield a year and half ago, was sooo sick of what sheffield was turning into, i lived on the woodthorpe so that says it all really,i now live in Hornsea the little seaside town on the east coast and dont regret moving for a second, the people are friendly, the schools are great and every morning i open my curtains and watch the sea, its nice to be able to pick up a local paper and the headlines to be about a big fish caught rather than a murder, ok ok so i do get the odd pull on the hearstrings when i think of sheffield but everytime i decide to visit i realise i have made a mistake, i know when the trains coming close to sheffield when the scenery becomes grimey, covered in graffiti and the place generaly looks dirty, i miss the shopping and the humour but would never move back, i love living away from the hoodies and the only helecopter that shakes my house these days is yellow and heading out to sea :P

• 1 month later...

My family are from Sheffield, my mum moved from Sheff to Skegness about 1977. I now live in Bournemouth, Dorset. A few family members lived at Shiregreen, i know my mum lived at Daffodil Rd when i was born. I carnt remember living there. She has mentioned Shiregreen a lot, I know she married St Hildas Church 1953, she left Shiregreen secondary scool in 1949. My mum speaks very fondly of her life in Shiregreen. I know famly members lived Shiregreen area in 30's, 40's, 50's. Surnames are BOOTH/ FLETCHER. My mum said she moved from Sheff has she wanted a quieter life, which is why she moved to Skegness. I have a few memories of living on Parkhill, which i recently visited. It hasnt changed

I left Sheffield in 1964 and went to Australia with my wife and 18 month old daughter. Apart from early home sickness we have never regretted it. We have been back 5 times now the last being only last month Nov 2006. Although we enjoyed our trip the most depressing was how many people there were, not only Sheffield but all over UK, and the roads and traffic seemed to be making just one solid carpark. After all that we will be back again in about 3 years just can't keep away from the place.

Archived