Have you moved away from Sheffield?

My sister & brother-in-law went out to South Africa Mary(nee McCurdy) & Gary Robertson nearly 20 years ago now living in Botswana Gary doing very well working for Debears the diamond people Mary enjoying the good life they will vnever come back here to live I miss them lots but it is wonderful to go out to visit and see all the wild animals ;)

I was born in Meadowhead in 1929, left Meersbrook Bank School in 1943 and worked in the painting and Decorating business until I was called up for National Service. Tried to work at my old job but there was no work in winter so I re-enlisted and came out of the army in 1973. Settled in Wivenhoe,near Colchester for 14 years then built a boat and sailed down to Spain. Bought a flat in Benalmadena but sailed around the Med. in summer. Moved to the USA in 1994 Florida where I've been ever since. My wife and I bought an RV and traveled all over the east coast of USA and Canada, we met a Sheffield woman who was part owner of an R.V park in PEI. The bridge hadn't been built then but we knew it was well into planning stage but we went by ferry, it's a lovely island.

I can't say I've ever missed Sheffield, but I do miss Sheffielders, take it from a world traveller theres nowt wrong wi most Sheffielders. Some of the most gracious people I've met are the Chinese and the Omanis ( Oman) the worst were Saudis and Essex people.

Florida, you're 82 years old :o...are you sure :confused:

Left sheffield 1976 and moved around a while before settling in Bermuda 25 years ago.Have a job I enjoy (most of the time ) and a good standard of living.Done quite a bit of traveling and visited quite a few countries ,but always get back to Sheffield once a year to see my sisters and the fabulous S.W.F.C.

will be there in 3 weeks and looking forward to it ,but don't know if I could settle back in Sheffield for good .

• 3 weeks later...
Left sheffield 1976 and moved around a while before settling in Bermuda 25 years ago.Have a job I enjoy (most of the time ) and a good standard of living.Done quite a bit of traveling and visited quite a few countries ,but always get back to Sheffield once a year to see my sisters and the fabulous S.W.F.C.

will be there in 3 weeks and looking forward to it ,but don't know if I could settle back in Sheffield for good .

Hi Pat, Just read this post, you must be due in Sheffield soon, must arrange a meet as I am working not too far away on a new power station near Retford each Monday to Friday then home to London at weekends.

I was born in Darnall and moved to London in 79, lived there ever since,worked for the same company for 36 years now. I went to the Orient match last weekend, terrible performance.

• 4 weeks later...

I was born in Sheffield, lived at Carbrook, Attercliffe, Darnall, Woodhouse, jpoinrd the Army at 18 and went to Germany. Lived in Dorset for a few years andd now live in Ontario Canada, LOVE IT!!!! Still miss Sheffield though and come "home" every 18 months, although my husband hates it when I say home,. He says Canada is home, but Sheffield is always home to me

• 1 month later...

Hi moved to Ontario Canada in 1974 with a wife and 4 boys did ok i had atrade i was a Millwright retired in 2003 from a power station were i worked at my boys did ok as well they joined the Navy and have done very well they have sailed all over the world I went back to sheffield last year and I did not recognize the city at all I know now I made the right move anyway I used to live in Tinsley on Ferrars drive iff anybody knows me gie me a message

• 3 weeks later...

Left Sheffield in 1995 for Marbella Spain. Visited Sheffield last year for the first time since I left. Hardly recognised it, city centre seemed disjointed. Now living in Hampshire. Have some happy memories of Sheffield but wouldn't want to return.

Archived