Have you moved away from Sheffield?

I was born in 1975 and grew up in Dronfield. I moved to London in 1997 and I'm still here. Strangely, I moved away just I was getting to really love Sheffield (Dronfield's FAR too small), but I've never regretted leaving. When I went, I imagined it was for three years, maybe five if it was good. Seven years on I'm no nearer moving back, although I've always told myself I will do. One reason for this is that I feel like when I do move back, it'll be to settle down and grow old. Another is that my girlfriend of a couple of years has never visited Sheffield yet (only Dronfield). I really must put that right.

Me and my mates have converted a fair few southerners to Henderson's Relish, you'll be pleased to hear; and we once got a free lunch (there IS such a thing!) at Carluccio's at Canary Wharf because Dave had his Blades top on :)

As regards the friendliness or otherwise of London/Sheffield residents, I do think people are more outgoing up north, but that's not something that makes me hate London at all. A large part of the reason I moved here was to find some anonymity, especially after growing up in a claustrophobic place like Dronfield, pretty though it may be. The other reason was for some adventure, and I still chuffin' love it down here! I still miss Sheffield, though, and at times I wonder how my 20s would have turned out if I'd stayed put...

• 2 weeks later...

YES

I MOVED TO THE STATES 40 YEARS AGO, I TRY TO GET BACK TO SHEFFIELD EVER YEAR OR SO, I LIVED IN HERRIES RD, PIPER CLOSE, WEST STREET, AND THEN CLARKSON ST, LOVED THE SHOPS ON WEST ST, AND THE PARKS. WENT TO CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL AND ST PATRICKS, SHEFFIELD HASN'T CHANGED THAT MUCH, ONLY DISLIKE IS THATS IT'S VERY LIBERAL, APART FROM THAT IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE.

Originally posted by poppins

YES

I MOVED TO THE STATES 40 YEARS AGO, I TRY TO GET BACK TO SHEFFIELD EVER YEAR OR SO, I LIVED IN HERRIES RD, PIPER CLOSE, WEST STREET, AND THEN CLARKSON ST, LOVED THE SHOPS ON WEST ST, AND THE PARKS. WENT TO CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL AND ST PATRICKS, SHEFFIELD HASN'T CHANGED THAT MUCH, ONLY DISLIKE IS THATS IT'S VERY LIBERAL, APART FROM THAT IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE.

What's wrong with being liberal (or Liberal, for that matter)? Please explain.

Hi

I moved from Sheffield to New Zealand (Auckland) in 1974, love the life and the warmer weather here, but often homesick for the sense of humour, I am married with 1 son, and 1 grandson, so my life is here now, still like to know what is going on though, my accent is still a strong Yorkshire accent,

Guest poppins

WHATS THIS "SANITY CLAUSE" THING THAT KEEPS POPPING UP ?I DON'T GET IT,ONLY THING I GET FROM IT IS THAT IT'S GETTING ON MY NERVES .

YES

Hi Poppins, I live on Piper Rd, do you have any memories of this road.

Ps: Take off your caps if possible as it makes your text easier to read.

Guest poppins

yes cycleracer

i lived on Piper Close, not road, use to be gagages accross the street from us, spent good times in longley park

ps why do you keep saying "sanity clause" gets on my nerves, what does it mean ?

WHATS THIS "SANITY CLAUSE" THING THAT KEEPS POPPING UP ?I DON'T GET IT,ONLY THING I GET FROM IT IS THAT IT'S GETTING ON MY NERVES .

l second that even third it.

Originally posted by mr.fogg

I also moved down South,first to Sidcup and now I live in Blackheath,southeast London.Unlike your self I have found most people to be just fine.I do hope you have a better time in the future.Good luck.

What a small world - my secondary school was in Sidcup (in Bexley Lane), and now College is in Lewisham.

Alex

Originally posted by cellarboy

I moved to Calgary, Canada in 1999 after living no where else but Sheffield for 27 years.

Can't recommend it enough (except for the horrible winters!!). :D

Horrible winters????? Where's my skis??

Archived