Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Originally posted by Cycleracer

When you do visit Sheffield you will be made very welcome.

See? You'll miss that if you leave, unless you go to Liverpool or Glasgow! I could understand wanting to leave here over five years ago, but Sheffield is on the up. I've only been back 3 years and the changes have been amazing. There's a buzz returning. It's looking forward instead of inward.

I can't reccommend moving south. I've tried that. Strangers don't talk. The isolation starts to get to you. And how can you feel isolated in a pub full of people? I can personally reccommend the 'pool and g'gow tho. The people have a similar outlook on life.

• 2 months later...

I moved from Sheffield in 1986 When my husband got work in Nottingham. 5 years later we moved to Chesterfield so we seem to be getting nearer. My daughter who is 18 is proud that she was born in Sheffield and torments my son who was born in Nottingham. Its nice to come visiting my dad who lives in Grimesthorpe and my sister who lives in Shiregreen. It still feels like home.

• 2 months later...
Guest Cutglass

I left Sheffield in June '04 to live in Preston. Not that exciting when you compare some of the places that others have moved to.

When I lived here I couldn't wait to get away, bored of Sheff, of the same old places, etc but now I'm here in Preston, I can't wait to come back.

I've been coming back for wk/ends every couple of weeks or so, and the saddest sight you'll see if my tearful face pressed against the train window when it's time to come back to Preston.

I never thought I'd miss this dirty old city but it's killing me being away. I even miss our accent, used to think it sounded common as muck, but now whenever I come back, it's like being wrapped up in your mothers arms, safe and sound.

Sigh......gotten all homesick again now. :(

know what you mean, Cutglass. I only live over the border in Derbyshire but I still call Sheffield home. Things are just not the same. Even my daughter who is 18 braggs that she was born in Sheffield and loves going back to shop.Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder?

I was born in Sheffield but moved away in 1986 to live in Leicestershire, with my then soon to be husband. I got really homesick the first year and nearly moved back but resisted. People used to think I was from Lancashire which really annoyed me! I had lived in Darnell, Parsons Cross and Southey Green. The main reason for moving was the job situation in Sheffield in the 80's. We used to say that we would never move back, but could'nt ever rule this out now as we're getting older. Maybe you never know, no immediate plans. The trouble is we have two teenagers who were born here and understandibly call Leicestershire their home. We still visit Sheffield regularly because we still have family there.

I left Sheffield in 1987, married an american marine and now live in N.J USA .I miss family more than I miss Sheffield . I have 3 sisters, parents and grandparents still living in Sheffield.I know I have a much better life here than what I could ever have in Sheffield.I'm planning a trip "home" this summer with my 3 sons so I hope Sheffield hasn't changed too much since my last visit 6 years ago.Even though I just became a US citizen I'll always be a sheffielder.:)

I've been expatriated a very long time. Both my late wife and I came from Sheffield, and after a long time in the Royal Navy, I decided to try Montreal on a 2 year contract, and never returned to Sheffield. I became a Canadian citizen in 1973, and in 1977 was asked by my American company if I would like a stint in New England. I fell in love with the place, and have been in Connecticut ever since. I've been an American citizen for 17 years. I still have my Sheffield accent, which most Americans think is Scottish! I married again in 1982 and my wife comes from County Clare in Ireland. She hasn't lost her brogue either. On her one and only visit to Sheffield she was very impressed with the city and thought it vastly superior to Limerick ( I agree ). She also loved Bakewell.

I know it's a bit banal to say ,"Travel broadens the mind " , but I really think it does-----or at least , living abroad does.

I've lead an odd life since 1988---about 2/3rds. working abroad as a teacher and the rest , teaching in the U.K. or doing one or two other odd jobs until I got a job abroad again.

I've taught in Kuwait , Saudi Arabia , Turkey , Romania and China and that's where I am right now. I've also visited a fair few countries on holiday.

My views about abroad and the U.K. changed from day 1. I found people in the Middle East much warmer and openly affectionate than we are in Britain and that suited me.I'd always felt that people, particularly in the North of England were unnaturally cold with each other.People who hadn't seen each other for years might shake hands-----might !

The children of every country I've been in have been generally better behaved , more mature and helpful towards each other than in the U.K.

The streets in every country I've worked in have felt absolutely safe-----at least from yobbos and muggers ----politically , things have got a bit dodgy in Saudi recently but they did in Britain with the I.R.A. bombings. Normal social life is much safer abroad.

The street life too is far, far livelier than in the U.K. , certainly as far as Sheffield is concerned and bars and restaurants actually go out of their way to please the customers instead of themselves.

Even if you live in a country for 20 years , in some respects , you're still an outsider and you never know a place like a local does, but , you do see and know much more than the tourists who often return to the U.K. with lurid tales , good and bad , based on a 2 week visit.

I often pop back to Sheffied as you're bound to feel affection for the place you spent half your life but my affection for Sheffield is more for what it WAS , rather than what it's become.

Archived