Advice on a minor car accident I had involving warranty repairs

The fact that the lady you ran into doesn't want to go through her insurance is immaterial. Its quite possible she could be not insured or driving the car whilst not on the policy? Inform your insurance company immediately and let them deal with it, she will have to disclose her insurance details by law to your insurance company. Claims do not end once the repair has been actioned, silly as it sounds she could claim whiplash, trauma etc, etc, even though it was a minimal collision.

To sum up, always keep your insurance company informed no matter how the other part wants to deal with things, if you have protected no claims it shouldn't affect your premium anyway.

Just tell your insurance company and let them deal with it. Otherwise, it will come back and bite you on the bum.

Second that comment usually for that type of value and claim especially if you're unsure. The may send assessors to value it,they will certainly try to negotiate the value down with the repairer.

You'll obviously need to pay the excess - if its more then £350 i might be tempted to pay her though tbh.

Someone nudged into my wife on the A38 last week,although the only damage was a broken light. They exchanged details etc etc.

I replaced the broken light for £10, it wasn't worth any hassle for insurers to be involved or even asking for the money back. What could have developed into weeks of wrangling lasted less than 48 hours to resolution.

The lady could be quite innocent of any allegations or deviousness, in my last company car we had to pay the first £250 excess of any claims. If it was no fault we would have it refunded from the insurers eventually. But not everyone has £250 to spare.

Firstly if you go through your insurance and you have protected no claims bonus you wont lose your no claims bonus BUT for the next few years your insurance premium will be loaded. End result is just the same you pay more. To address the point about paying the excess you only pay the excess if you are claiming for damage to your vehicle, your insurance company will pay 100% of the costs to repair the other persons vehicle.

Hi all,

So I had a little bump last week, the lights had gone green, I began to roll forward, grabbed a tissue off the passenger seat, looked up and id bumped the car in front. Until the lady got out of her vehicle I didn't realise I'd hit her, I just thought it was a close call.

Anyway, I didn't take any pictures, she was angry and rude and I was a bit shocked as I've never had an accident before. She said we won't go through insurance so I said yeah that's fine.

She has claimed that my number plate screws(2) have dinted her bumper and because her car is under warranty (less than 3yrs old) that she has to have the repair done by a main dealer.

She sent me a quote for £350! I was expecting less than £100 and a trusted Vauxhall employee has said £200 should do it.

So firstly is she right about the warranty? I have a new car and I wasn't aware of this, and even for other repairs (not body) you can have them done anywhere as long as vat registered and using GM parts. I feel like she's trying to rip me off.

And finally if anyone has any advice on what to say or do next that would be welcome too.

Maybe you could tell her that given the damage, you weren't expecting the repairs to cost so much and that you can't afford that so you'll have to persue it via your insurance company. If she's trying to pull a swift one on you, or there is a reason as to why she was reluctant to use the insurers, then she may drop it.

I ran into back of her though so even if it wasn't my fault I'm still liable right? And never even thought of taking pictures, I have asked for some but haven't received yet! And figured sorting it between ourselves would be better but at that price I think I might have to consider going through insurers anyway. I just cant see why she can't get it repaired somewhere else, nobody would know so how would it void her warranty?

You were at fault.

But if you don't want to pay the £350 then you can still decide to go through insurance now.

Honestly, it doesn't seem too unlikely as a price for a bumper. Mine has been damaged before (rear ended at low speed) and it's £800 to replace and spray it... And that's not main dealership price.

So if it's just a fill and spray, then it's probably correct. Technically any damage to the bumper should mean it gets replaced, or so they claim, as it has crash structures that could have been damaged and there's no easy way to tell.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 09:16 ----------

The fact that the lady you ran into doesn't want to go through her insurance is immaterial. Its quite possible she could be not insured or driving the car whilst not on the policy? Inform your insurance company immediately and let them deal with it, she will have to disclose her insurance details by law to your insurance company. Claims do not end once the repair has been actioned, silly as it sounds she could claim whiplash, trauma etc, etc, even though it was a minimal collision.

To sum up, always keep your insurance company informed no matter how the other part wants to deal with things, if you have protected no claims it shouldn't affect your premium anyway.

Lol. It will totally affect your claims the next time you renew, even if it doesn't reduce your NCB.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 09:17 ----------

Maybe you could tell her that given the damage, you weren't expecting the repairs to cost so much and that you can't afford that so you'll have to persue it via your insurance company. If she's trying to pull a swift one on you, or there is a reason as to why she was reluctant to use the insurers, then she may drop it.

Seems like a good approach.

I was reading an article about the pros/cons of buying a car via a lease agreement, and one of the cons was that in some of the lease agreements terms and conditions the dealer has to do the repairs/maintenance. It's one of the ways that they make profits on the deals.

A colleague of mine has just returned theirs. The dealer charged £40 for each body ding or minor scratch on the bumpers and £60 for each scuffed alloy.

Don't admit liability

Do take photos

Do go through your insurers

Too late!!! the OP has already admitted they were not watching the road ahead, that would constitute as driving without due care and attention. You've got to weigh up the costs - do you pay the £350 or go through the insurance and risk a big hike in your premium next year.

Edited by AMR67