2015- July Budget

I'm surprised that there is no mention of the cut to the maintenance grant which supports young people from low income families when they enter higher education. I know they don't have to pay off the loan until they are earning above the national average but I would think that this additional debt would put some people off.

These young people are the future scientists, architects, engineers. shouldn't we be investing in our future instead of saddling them with huge amounts of debt so early on in life?

Do you really want to tax the hell out of people who never went to university so that people can spend 4 years getting drunk and attending the odd lecture on media studies?

They're already subsidised. £9k/year is not the full economic cost of university.

The current loan system is essentially a graduate tax. The repayment terms are extremely generous.

I'd support waiving or cutting fees for those studying to be "scientists, architects, engineers" etc but not across the board.

It is a good budget for those that work for a living and don't rely on the government for handouts

This is very true.

The whole tax credits system is a fiasco, Labour's biggest ever welfare mistake on so many levels.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 07:36 ----------

I'm surprised that there is no mention of the cut to the maintenance grant which supports young people from low income families when they enter higher education. I know they don't have to pay off the loan until they are earning above the national average but I would think that this additional debt would put some people off.

These young people are the future scientists, architects, engineers. shouldn't we be investing in our future instead of saddling them with huge amounts of debt so early on in life?

This is the biggest mistake in the budget. Can anybody rationalise it? To me it seems spiteful.

Vehicle Excise Duty changes:

Changes for cars registered after 1st April 2017.

Only cars with zero CO2 emissions will have zero VED.

First year rates vary according to VED. Cars emitting over 255g/km will pay £2,000 first year tax.

All cars irrespective of CO2 will pay £140 per year.

Premium cars (list price over £40k) will have to pay a supplementary VED of £310 per year for the first 5 years (i.e. £450 per year).

the two I've bolded contradict each other, I've probably misunderstood

You'd like to live in George Orwells 1982, a massively authoritarian fascist state.

I bet you wouldn't really, not when they wielded that power over you in some way you didn't like.

I really don't think I said that. But I do agree with the policy of limiting child benefit to two. For me it would be even less. We already live on an over-populated planet. Anyone wishing to add to that should be prepared to pay for it themselves. After all, you don't have a car if you can't afford to own one, so why a child?

winners and losers in budget:

winners:

those with property up to a million

those earning over £43 grand per year

big business (tax cuts offset with increase in nmw)

small firms (ni employment allowance / tax allowance)

those with a room to rent (not on benefits)

middle earners (rise in tax threshold)

losers:

18-21 year olds

poor students

the under 25s on low income

families on low income with more than 2 kids

any1 earning a small income (part time) with kids

non-doms

buy to let homebuyers

30k earning people in social housing

disabled capable of work

those on any kind of benefit (frozen)

public sector workers

tax avoiders (HMRC given more budget)

Edited by phoenixboy
more!

winners and losers in budget:

winners:

those with property up to a million

those earning over £43 grand per year

big business (tax cuts offset with increase in nmw)

small firms (ni employment allowance / tax allowance)

those with a room to rent (not on benefits)

middle earners (rise in tax threshold)

losers:

18-21 year olds

poor students

the under 25s on low income

families on low income with more than 2 kids

any1 earning a small income (part time) with kids

non-doms

buy to let homebuyers

30k earning people in social housing

disabled capable of work

those on any kind of benefit (frozen)

public sector workers

tax avoiders (HMRC given more budget)

Pretty good summing up. And yet, even as a public sector worker, I consider it a good budget.

It's fair and it's good for the economy. In the long run, that's good for everybody.

fair enough. he did just take out 12 billion from the economy tho. see the list of losers is much longer?

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 11:04 ----------

you give me 100% of a pie. I take a bite out of it and give 90% of it back! lol