2015- July Budget

What tax credits have been removed? I must have missed that.

Have you also corrected for the increase in the minimum wage?

The income threshold for tax credits is to be reduced from £6,420 to £3,850.

Minimum wage will make some of this up, but danger is hours will be cut or people laid off.

the vote doesnt count. if every 18-21 year old voted in south yorkshire, it wouldnt have made any difference to the outcome of the election. We would have still ended up with a conservative government.

Of course their vote counts. Just because more people vote otherwise doesn't make it irrelevant. If you really feel that way move to a marginal and cast your vote there.

i used south yorkshire as an example...could have been many others.

if the vote doesnt count, as is the case under this voting system. then what is the motivation to vote?

i believe we should give 16 year olds the vote. happened in scotland and it worked.

I just answered that question.

Since 16 year olds are now 99% certain to live at home with their parents/guardians and be at school, I see no more reason to give them the vote than to give it to newborns.

When they were part of the workforce it was worthy of consideration.

I take it then that you didn't vote, but you're bleating on about the policies of a government chosen in an election you couldn't be bothered to take 10 minutes out of your day to participate in.

on a maintainace grant, they didnt have that loan to begin with....

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:02 ----------

how about the 31bn unpaid tax gap?

Re bib. Yes, I know. My point still stands. Someone has to pay for it. I think it's fair that the person who gains the benefit of a higher salary, through having the opportunity to go to university ultimately pays for it if he or she can.

people who go to university generally finish up earning more, so it is worthwhile doing it even if you have to pay off a loan later. Anyone who does not go the university BECAUSE of the need to take out a loan is missing out on an opportunity. They may have a religious or other belief that prevents them from taking out a loan, but I think in many cases it is because they do not understand the mechanism (in some cases because they have listened to people who have got a political axe to grind).

Minimum wage will make some of this up, but danger is hours will be cut or people laid off.

Hence the cut in corporation tax and NI to help employers fund it.

Gideon did say that analysts expected some job losses as a result. But the overall effect of raising money to fund other areas would mean gains. You can choose whether you believe this or not.

I just answered that question.

Since 16 year olds are now 99% certain to live at home with their parents/guardians and be at school, I see no more reason to give them the vote than to give it to newborns.

When they were part of the workforce it was worthy of consideration.

I take it then that you didn't vote, but you're bleating on about the policies of a government chosen in an election you couldn't be bothered to take 10 minutes out of your day to participate in.

in my constituency it was a labour landslide - always has been. so why do i need to vote? it does not effect the outcome. thats the point.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:42 ----------

Of course their vote counts. Just because more people vote otherwise doesn't make it irrelevant. If you really feel that way move to a marginal and cast your vote there.

how does it count? its counted....but it doesnt effect the outcome.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:43 ----------

Hence the cut in corporation tax and NI to help employers fund it.

Gideon did say that analysts expected some job losses as a result. But the overall effect of raising money to fund other areas would mean gains. You can choose whether you believe this or not.

you really think you can trust gideon? he doesnt give a hoot about you and me. and because were in sheffield that counts double!

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:45 ----------

Re bib. Yes, I know. My point still stands. Someone has to pay for it. I think it's fair that the person who gains the benefit of a higher salary, through having the opportunity to go to university ultimately pays for it if he or she can.

people who go to university generally finish up earning more, so it is worthwhile doing it even if you have to pay off a loan later. Anyone who does not go the university BECAUSE of the need to take out a loan is missing out on an opportunity. They may have a religious or other belief that prevents them from taking out a loan, but I think in many cases it is because they do not understand the mechanism (in some cases because they have listened to people who have got a political axe to grind).

the higher salary produces more taxes. 21k is not a high salary and will be much lower in 2020 when its payback time.

its basically a life time of paying back a loan to the government, they effectively own you.

in my constituency it was a labour landslide - always has been. so why do i need to vote? it does not effect the outcome. thats the point.

Nonsense. I've explained this once.

The political parties analyse the results of an election in great detail and within a basic idealogical framework set policy based on the result.

If you and others in the same position voted Labour, you'd increase their majority in that constituency and their share of the vote overall. You'd re-enforce their belief in the policies they'd offered and make the other parties re-condsider their policies in the hope of persuading you to vote for them instead next time.

UKIP got 1 MP in that election but the other parties have, and continue to, take on their policies left right and centre because they want as many as possible of the 4 million people who "wasted their votes" on UKIP in that election to vote for them next time.

As it is, none of the parties now give a flying fig what you think and I don't see why anybody else should either.

Next time, get off your arse, take a short walk down the street and see if you can summon up the energy to put a small cross in a box. Is that really too much to ask?

Edited by unbeliever

The Tories will create a million jobs minimum in this Parliament, probably nearer two.

Inefficient employers may well lay people off as will overstaffed public services, these job losses will be more than made up by new private sector jobs.

The Tories will create a million jobs minimum in this Parliament, probably nearer two.

Inefficient employers may well lay people off as will overstaffed public services, these job losses will be more than made up by new private sector jobs.

That's exactly what happened over the last 5 years and i see no reason to doubt we'll see the same again.