2015- July Budget

Calculator here to see the affect on you/family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11726113/Budget-calculator-work-out-how-your-finances-have-changed.html

Says that me and the SO will be about £400 better off.

We will be better off by about £300, it seems.

I tried a few imaginary scenarios. A couple with 2 children, earning around £24,000 to £26,000 and claiming tax credits appear to get a hit of around £2,500. Of course, the figures I put in are imaginary, and I may have misunderstood how to input them, but it seems to be quite a hit if it is true.

and that goes for everyone. how can we have a government ruling us that nobody actually voted for in south yorkshire? its madness.

You live in the UK its a UK election.

Actually a number of people voted for the Tories in South Yorkshire, I am proud to be one of them.

in my constituency it was a labour landslide - always has been. so why do i need to vote? it does not effect the outcome. thats the point.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:42 ----------

how does it count? its counted....but it doesnt effect the outcome.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:43 ----------

you really think you can trust gideon? he doesnt give a hoot about you and me. and because were in sheffield that counts double!

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 12:45 ----------

the higher salary produces more taxes. 21k is not a high salary and will be much lower in 2020 when its payback time.

its basically a life time of paying back a loan to the government, they effectively own you.

Re bib. It's not a case of the government owning anyone.

Try and look at it another way.

Currently the maintenance grant to a few is paid for by everyone, in their taxes, regardless of whether or not they have benefitted from a University education. All this change is doing is saying that going forward, the cost of this should be borne by the people who benefit from it, along with the tuition costs which already are.

However, because young people are not in a position to fund this up front, we, the tax paying people of the country, (including some who never got the opportunity of a university education) are prepared to lend you all the money you need, at preferential rates, to give you this opportunity. Pay us back when you start reaping the benefits of that education. But don't worry, if you never can repay it, then you can treat it as a gift.

if anyone is "owned" by someone else, it is the tax paying public who are funding a loan that may never be repaid.

Currently the maintenance grant to a few is paid for by everyone, in their taxes, regardless of whether or not they have benefitted from a University education. All this change is doing is saying that going forward, the cost of this should be borne by the people who benefit from it, along with the tuition costs which already are.

However, because young people are not in a position to fund this up front, we, the tax paying people of the country, (including some who never got the opportunity of a university education) are prepared to lend you all the money you need, at preferential rates, to give you this opportunity. Pay us back when you start reaping the benefits of that education. But don't worry, if you never can repay it, then you can treat it as a gift.

if anyone is "owned" by someone else, it is the tax paying public who are funding a loan that may never be repaid.

Couldn't agree more.

You live in the UK its a UK election.

Actually a number of people voted for the Tories in South Yorkshire, I am proud to be one of them.

How many seats did you get?

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Look it at this another way. Nobody goes to university except the elite. What happens?

Whether you loke it or not we need people to go to uni to get better paid work to pay more into the system.

You and me both benefit from this so why shoildnt the public contribute?

We will be better off by about £300, it seems.

I tried a few imaginary scenarios. A couple with 2 children, earning around £24,000 to £26,000 and claiming tax credits appear to get a hit of around £2,500. Of course, the figures I put in are imaginary, and I may have misunderstood how to input them, but it seems to be quite a hit if it is true.

Yes. Believe it. I lose 1250.

How is that fair?

How many seats did you get?

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Look it at this another way. Nobody goes to university except the elite. What happens?

Whether you loke it or not we need people to go to uni to get better paid work to pay more into the system.

You and me both benefit from this so why shoildnt the public contribute?

The public does contribute. You want them to pay the whole thing.

I'll agree to this if we only send people to university to do STEM subjects, and only when they get very good a-levels. That way we can be confident that they'll repay the costs in higher tax revenues. Is that what you want?

You've not heard anything I've said about the intrinsic value of voting have you? You've not even bothered trying to counter it.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 13:39 ----------

Yes. Believe it. I lose 1250.

How is that fair?

Can't really answer that without knowing your situation. The only thing I know so far is that you don't vote.

You'd lose a lot more if the state was fully funding university students.

I'm beginning to suspect that you're one of these "magic money tree" people.

Edited by unbeliever