2015- July Budget

It will be a barrier if potential students listen to people like you.

If someone becomes a doctor, their lifetime income will comfortably allow them to repay the loan and still give them an income well beyond most of those who do not get a degree. As long as they realise this, then it is up to them whether or not they go for it.

People like me?

I'm just stating facts based on the content of the budget.

It will put some people off, no doubt about it.

People like me?

I'm just stating facts based on the content of the budget.

It will put some people off, no doubt about it.

Do you not think that it will mostly put of those potential students who don't intend to train for a very useful job. Media studies and the like.

We can counter trepidation about the debt among future doctors, engineers etc by making sure they understand the terms and their likely gains in earning power from their training.

Do you not think that it will mostly put of those potential students who don't intend to train for a very useful job. Media studies and the like.

We can counter trepidation about the debt among future doctors, engineers etc by making sure they understand the terms and their likely gains in earning power from their training.

What do you mean by 'useful' jobs? There are plenty of jobs that require degrees but don't pay highly.

You are never going to compete with places like South Korea with that idea then you wonder why your house is full of tech from Samsung and LG.

Why shouldn't we aspire to be a country where half the population have a degree, preferably in science or engineering .

Because it would be impossible to do so and would mean wasting the truly brights talents.

Samsung and LG don't want a workforce full of degree grads and they don't have one. They want a workforce full of technicians - which is what they have - hands on people to make the stuff and a group of engineers to design the stuff. Similarly Honda don't have a factory full of engineering graduates assembling cars - they'd get bored and leave. They have skilled technicians and machinists making them and a smaller number of R&D engineers designing them.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 23:05 ----------

You got it wrong now youre backtracking. Or maybe you know more than the economists at the independent institute of fiscal studies?

Ignorance is no xcuse!

I'm not backtracking because I've not made a position. :roll:

Because it would be impossible to do so and would mean wasting the truly brights talents.

Samsung and LG don't want a workforce full of degree grads and they don't have one. They want a workforce full of technicians - which is what they have - hands on people to make the stuff and a group of engineers to design the stuff. Similarly Honda don't have a factory full of engineering graduates assembling cars - they'd get bored and leave. They have skilled technicians and machinists making them and a smaller number of R&D engineers designing them.

More people (in percentage terms) go into higher education in Japan and Korea than the UK.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/27/and-the-worlds-most-educated-country-is/

Seriously, why do you just make stuff up?

Seriously why do you feel in necessary to lie about what I didn't say?

Where in the thread above did I say anything contrary to "More people (in percentage terms) go into higher education in Japan and Korea than the UK. "

I never said anything about it. At all. I talked about the workforce of two companies that I consult for and almost certainly know better than you do.

So why do you feel the need to make up such a strawman?

Seriously why do you feel in necessary to lie about what I didn't say?

Where in the thread above did I say anything contrary to "More people (in percentage terms) go into higher education in Japan and Korea than the UK. "

I never said anything about it. At all. I talked about the workforce of two companies that I consult for and almost certainly know better than you do.

So why do you feel the need to make up such a strawman?

No straw man, just facts.

You disingenuously made an attempt to portray Japan and Korea as workforces not dominated by graduates when the opposite is true. In the context of the thread it's clear what you were trying to do. It would seem, based on the facts, that the companies you consult for are not representative. You'll find similar set-ups in every advanced economy in fact, including the UK.

No straw man, just facts.

You disingenuously made an attempt to portray Japan and Korea as workforces not dominated by graduates when the opposite is true. In the context of the thread it's clear what you were trying to do. It would seem, based on the facts, that the companies you consult for are not representative. You'll find similar set-ups in every advanced economy in fact, including the UK.

You lie again.

I refuted a specific point made by another poster.

That's all

Why do you feel the need to lie about this?

Why do you feel the need to make yet more strawmen arguments? I never claimed anything about the Japanese or Korean economies at all?

What do you mean by 'useful' jobs? There are plenty of jobs that require degrees but don't pay highly.

There are some jobs for the state that require advanced qualifications but don't pay all that well. I have one. But they tend to be the same jobs which pay highly in industry.

You lie again.

I refuted a specific point made by another poster.

That's all

Why do you feel the need to lie about this?

Why do you feel the need to make yet more strawmen arguments? I never claimed anything about the Japanese or Korean economies at all?

I'm not telling any lies. Stating cold hard facts versus your anecdotals and making sure other posters do not get the wrong impression about higher education in Japan and Korea. No strawman there and I have not lied once.

---------- Post added 10-07-2015 at 07:26 ----------

There are some jobs for the state that require advanced qualifications but don't pay all that well. I have one. But they tend to be the same jobs which pay highly in industry.

Not necessarily. Teaching, social work, media, retail, charity sector, services etc... all have lots of career paths where a degree is needed but with lifetime earnings well below what say a doctor would earn.

Take the blinkers off