Fascists to Invade Sheffield. £500K Bill For Policing

Guest sibon

Indeed. It was rather insensitive of folk like the EDL to demonstrate in Rotherham at a time when the local council was trying to gloss over the Asian grooming gang scandal.

The only problem with this is how many times I can't go out with my kids due to the threat of volience from the EDL or UAF etc, when a protest does take place.

Means i have to take my money elsewhere and drive there rather than enjoy a walk there.

Today there was supposed to be a big protest on fargate.

There where lots of police near the rail station and all the way up to town.

Horses, motorcycles, and police in yellow jackets everywhere.

On fargate there was a small little group of people peacefully protesting.

I did not see the need for all that expensive police presence standing there doing nothing and big piles of horse**** on fargate.

Is this what we are paying taxes for. If conservatives want to save money I got some suggestions for them, just imagine how many people who really need that money will suffer to pay for this nonsense.

i didnt say they were, my point was regarding EDL supporters and their barrage of freedom of speech usage

they seem to forget that the other side also have that right too, its not just a right the EDL have. some on here were the most vocal opponents of the "poppy burners" when that happened

There is a world of difference between criticism and a ban. It's perfectly acceptable to say that somebody is a bad person for saying something, or otherwise expressing themselves, and they should be ashamed. It's quite another to say that they should be prevented from doing so by law or force.

I'm not an EDL supporter. I can't stand them. But I defend the right of all extreme groups including the EDL and UAF to exercise their right to free speech.

what about the right of asian communities to live in peace and not be subjected to what in effect is intimidation in the guise of a protest by the EDL. As a general rule they choose routes which go through predominently asian areas.

No such right exists. The right is to free speech. There neither is nor can there be, a right to not hear stuff you don't like. If there is verbal abuse or the threat of violence, that's a different matter and the authorities can rightly punish such things.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 17:59 ----------

I don't know. What do you think?

I think that the need to raise a 6 or 7 figure fee to hold a protest would be an unacceptable limitation on free speech.

Edited by unbeliever

Indeed. It was rather insensitive of folk like the EDL to demonstrate in Rotherham at a time when the local council was trying to gloss over the Asian grooming gang scandal.

What about the number of sex abusers the EDL has had in its own ranks? = https://malatesta32.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/edl-sex-offenders-list/

Bloody hypocrites the lot of them including their supporters. :rant:

Tomorrow morning, the EDL have chosen to infest our city with their repulsive brand of politics. Our police force face a £500 000 bill to maintain public order and safety. The shops in the city centre will also lose trade.

When Sheffield Wednesday, or United play at home, part of the policing bill is passed on to the clubs. It it time that the same principle was applied to violent political groupings? Should we bill the EDL £500 000 for disrupting our city tomorrow? Should we hold them responsible for lower takings from city centre shops?

Maybe the bill should be split with the far left fascist trouble causers from the UAF. Afterall the UAF professional agitators are equally happy to cause violent disorder.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 19:17 ----------

Their own inadequacy and self loathing expressed as hatred of the 'other'.

Thats a tad harsh on the UAF old boy.

What about the number of sex abusers the EDL has had in its own ranks? = https://malatesta32.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/edl-sex-offenders-list/

Bloody hypocrites the lot of them including their supporters. :rant:

Indeed. The EDL are largely made up of scum. The world would be a better place without them.

The awkward thing about tolerance is that we do in practise, at least to some degree, have to tolerate the intolerant. After all we don't deny free speech to large sections of the Abrahamic religions for their position on homosexuality even though it is profoundly offensive to most of us.

Edited by unbeliever

Did anyone actually go into Sheffield, just gone through pages of drivel to find out whats gone on.

Some did, but not me though, I went shopping elsewhere instead.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1409782

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 19:34 ----------

See fruitcakes in Town thread:hihi:

But they were the wrong type of fruitcakes :|

Tomorrow morning, the EDL have chosen to infest our city with their repulsive brand of politics. Our police force face a £500 000 bill to maintain public order and safety. The shops in the city centre will also lose trade.

When Sheffield Wednesday, or United play at home, part of the policing bill is passed on to the clubs. It it time that the same principle was applied to violent political groupings? Should we bill the EDL £500 000 for disrupting our city tomorrow? Should we hold them responsible for lower takings from city centre shops?

Now I may be accused of defending the EDL. I'm not I cannot stand their sub human brand of politics. But two things I have noticed. The only time we have problems is when the antifacists protest against them as the EDL are attention seeking yobs. So if the UAF didnt protest. We would need a lot less officers as the EDL would get bored as there is no one to fight and disappear back to the pub.

Second thing I have noticed is there was less trouble than previous times I have witnessed these dispicable oaths turn up.

Also as an aside why is it Wetherspoons ban football shirts. Presumably to stop trouble. Yet a guy can walk into the Bankers Draft proudly wearing an EDL shirt to cheers from the drunken yobs downstairs without a word from the staff (I was upstairs having breakfast).

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 19:39 ----------

Today there was supposed to be a big protest on fargate.

There where lots of police near the rail station and all the way up to town.

Horses, motorcycles, and police in yellow jackets everywhere.

On fargate there was a small little group of people peacefully protesting.

I did not see the need for all that expensive police presence standing there doing nothing and big piles of horse**** on fargate.

Is this what we are paying taxes for. If conservatives want to save money I got some suggestions for them, just imagine how many people who really need that money will suffer to pay for this nonsense.

They had a small rally at the ampitheater near me. It was more police than EDL to be honest.