Most iconic Sheffield Buildings?

Nobody suggesting the cheese grater? :P

I think that think Sheffield City Council's planning policy has held this city back for a long time. Sheffield needs to find a unique identity and modern architecture could be key.

Something like 'The Skyscraper Valley'

I was under the impression the reason Sheffield is a load of mismatched building is precisely BECAUSE they go for modern buildings, without any consideration for what fits the area.

I'm not sure if its the councils planning policy at fault though, I do not understand the details and legalities they have to follow.

I'm certainly confused who you think would do better. We DID have the Lib Dems in for a while and all they managed to do was lose the money that was meant to revamp the city centre, causing the huge delay we had getting it done.

Nobody suggesting the cheese grater? :P

I was under the impression the reason Sheffield is a load of mismatched building is precisely BECAUSE they go for modern buildings, without any consideration for what fits the area.

I'm not sure if its the councils planning policy at fault though, I do not understand the details and legalities they have to follow.

I'm certainly confused who you think would do better. We DID have the Lib Dems in for a while and all they managed to do was lose the money that was meant to revamp the city centre, causing the huge delay we had getting it done.

Many of the much maligned buildings in Sheffield City centre Castle Market, Park Hill etc date from a time when the council took an active role in developing an architectural vision for the city, in the 1950s and 60s the city council developed it's own vision for the visual feel of the city centre. These days councils don't really play a role in the architectural makeup of the city - their role has been reduced to gatekeeper unless they themselves instigate the development.

Just had a look at your Tumblr photo , what are the half demolished arches never seen them before?

It's not my Tumblr account, just a photo I liked when I searched for one showing the original Hyde Park flats. The photo is from before my time in Sheffield, I don't know where those railway arches were.

Many of the much maligned buildings in Sheffield City centre Castle Market, Park Hill etc date from a time when the council took an active role in developing an architectural vision for the city, in the 1950s and 60s the city council developed it's own vision for the visual feel of the city centre. These days councils don't really play a role in the architectural makeup of the city - their role has been reduced to gatekeeper unless they themselves instigate the development.

That pretty much matches what the council claim. That they have very little control over new developments.

If an investor asks to build something they pretty much have to say yes.

If you allow non-surviving buildings: the Cooling Towers.

It should have been Tinsley Towers but a bit late now. Still a Sheffield icon if you find a photo though

It would have been the twin cooling towers if they hasn't have blown them up

That's three votes for them so far!

Is it actually true though?

Landmarks such as the London Eye would have to be blacked out, the paper reports: “Members of the public would only be able to Upload the uncensored photograph with prior consent of the author… Brussels could extend this to the UK as early as next month.”

It would be shocking, indeed, if only it was true. But like most assertions based on statements made by Europe’s last remaining Pirate Party MEP, it isn’t.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/25/pirate_mp_pranks_telegraph/

and:

Wikipedia jumps aboard the bogus 'freedom of panorama' bandwagon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/02/wikipedia_jumps_on_bogus_photo_scare_to_tell_us_the_internet_is_breaking_again/

The reason the scare is bogus is that the amendment is not draft legislation.

The European Parliament cannot actually write legislation, unlike actual parliaments around the world. That's the European Commission's job, and we don't know exactly what it will propose as part of its Digital Single Market reforms.

The Commission receives dozens of these every year, and throws them in the bin.

In a few weeks, when something that wasn't going to happen is formally ruled out, campaigners will congratulate themselves on "a successful campaign". It takes some balls to "rescue" people from a problem you've helped create in the first place. If Reda hadn't made a cause out of “freedom of panorama”, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's a bit like starting a fire, then accepting a medal for bravely putting it out.

^^ Fair comment, but if all these scares were ignored one just might get through. It's a 'crying wolf' situation. Why should anyone believe what either side says? After all it's just words on the Internet.

Better safe than sorry I say, and the response to the petition should serve as a warning shot to anyone seriously considering controls on street photography.