Comic characters.

Three great footballers spring immediately to mind.

Gorgeous Gus, An immaculately turned out Lord who came onto the pitch accompanied by his butler who attended him in the goalmouth, and who was regularly in trouble for not diving for shots he knew he couldn't reach.

Biily's Boots, A lad who couldn't play football, but had a pair of "magic boots" (Oh the chaos that ensued when his mother regularly threw then out, or when they were stolen, quite often as it happens)!

Limp along Leslie, The unlikely story of a poor cripple boy (Their words not mine) injured in a car accident that killed his famous footballing father who in spite of the adversity became a football star.

Edited by Odd-jobs

Remember the Sun and the Comet in the 50's and of course Roy of the Rovers in (I think) the Hotspur. My favourite of the fun characters was Billy Bunter, can't remember which comic however.

I think the comic was 'Knockout'. There was a character on the front called 'Deed a Day Danny', remember him?

Yes indeed - a bit like this..:)

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 20:06 ----------

Tall man used to deliver Comet & Sun in a little wooden barrow on a Sunday morning to Nethershire Lane in the 50's. I loved them and I was a girl, school friend wasn't my thing.

Billy the Kid, Claude Duval, Strongbow ( not the cider), Buffalo Bill, countless other featured fantasy adventures. Had them both delivered every week up to about age 13. By the way I left in 61 LOL....

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 20:15 ----------

I think the comic was 'Knockout'. There was a character on the front called 'Deed a Day Danny', remember him?

Don't recall, the comic or the character. After reading the information supplied on rossyrooney's response, I am inclined to think Billy was syndicated and probably appeared in several comics.

Edited by TORONTONY
typo

'Jimmy (or Johnny) and his Magic Patch'. 'Hungry Horace' and the 'Bash Street Kid's.'

It was Jimmy, fer chrissakes!

Hungry Horace and Keyhole Kate.

But what was the name of the horse in the middle pages of the Beano./Dandy?

I learned to draw it perfectly!