Should the state subsidise personal private transport?

Utter nonsense.

My mum in law is severely disabled and lives in a rural location with no bus stops nearby. The bus stops that are there have no pavements to them from where she lives anyway.

She goes to hospital frequently, physio, day care, does her own shopping etc... Nine out of ten journeys she does herself with some help from her husband.

For the medical related journeys this avoids an ambulance being used to transport her both ways to hospital.

She doesn't work.

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 11:44 ----------

This is where you lost all credibility.

Why? Some organisations encourage people to cycle to work by apying them so much a mile, so other 'green' dangerous, even more unpleasant methods of transportation shouldn't be treated any differently.

Why? Some organisations encourage people to cycle to work by apying them so much a mile, so other 'green' dangerous, even more unpleasant methods of transportation shouldn't be treated any differently.
Do they? That would be a taxable benefit.

I know some people get paid a mileage rate for cycling whilst at work, say to meetings same as I do if I go to a meeting using my own car.

The major part of this motability money should ONLY go to people that work; people that do not work are not busy enough to warrant car journeys, they would be ok on the bus.

And of course everyone who qualifies for higher rate DLA is perfectly capable of walking to the nearest bus stop. :loopy:

Seriously, I begin to wonder if many of the posters on SF actually think before they type.

And of course everyone who qualifies for higher rate DLA is perfectly capable of walking to the nearest bus stop. :loopy:

There has been millions spent on making buses and trains more accessible for the disabled, I guess it makes it easier for a single mums with prams and pushchairs.

I am sure that there is more still to do; a young guy that fell off a roof has a speedie electric three wheeler wheelchair for local trips. I dont think he can drive.

why wouldn't you? Isn't the badge associated with the person, not the car ?

I know of someone who pulled that scam by using a close relatives Blue badge, and that's what they did. So your husband can use the badge if he's driving you to the shops / hairdressers / restaurant. Or even if he is on his own and just wants to park in the city centre for free! (as long as he doesn't get caught by the traffic wardens)

It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card, for parking tickets :|

Get out of jail card my backside, you can still get a parking ticket with the blue badge, I got one the other week for displaying it the wrong way round.. All the details were visible but the traffic warden must have been too illiterate to read them the wrong way round.

why wouldn't you? Isn't the badge associated with the person, not the car ?

I know of someone who pulled that scam by using a close relatives Blue badge, and that's what they did. So your husband can use the badge if he's driving you to the shops / hairdressers / restaurant. Or even if he is on his own and just wants to park in the city centre for free! (as long as he doesn't get caught by the traffic wardens)

It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card, for parking tickets :|

A friend of mine got a ticket in Cornwall because the car they had borrowed was not showing a disabled tax disc even though the blue badge was on display.

Don't know what they do now though as you no longer need a tax disc

Edited by iansheff

Do they? That would be a taxable benefit.

I know some people get paid a mileage rate for cycling whilst at work, say to meetings same as I do if I go to a meeting using my own car.

Yes. A friend of mine works for London Wildlife Trust and is paid so much a mile. Some London borough councils also pay you to cycle to work. Don't know about taxing aspect but will ask her.

It is very difficult for anyone to know how much support the disabled, as a group, need.

They live in cities and rural areas, but having said that, surely hospital transport that may be picking someone else up in the next town would be better.

Some people in wheelchairs can work, yet other have no inclination to work; really difficult to get the right balance.

This is rural northern Ireland. The next town is six miles away.

She can't work. She has a severe degenerative disease. She can get in and out a wheelchair and can tolerate being in it for 3-4 hours. When she had really bad days she needs to be helped in and out of bed, on and off the toilet etc.. No way any employer could support her by having two people on hand to help her perform the most basic tasks.

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 08:43 ----------

By describing buses as barbaric plague wagons